SMC Golf: MIAA year gets started

The Belles have a chance to show their new improved attitude coming into their first MIAA Jamboree conference tournament this weekend, the Comet Classic.

"These past few tournaments have been testing, but all of our issues should now be dealt with," sophomore co-captain Alex Sei said. "We've been practicing hard and it should show at the Jamboree."

With several disappointing finishes in non-conference tournaments this year, the Belles hope to record a low score to start strong at the conference tournaments.

Olivet will host the two-day, 72-par tournament at the Medalist Golf Club in Marshall, Mich. The tournament, which Albion originally intended to host, was rained out last week.

Three golfers on the team have played the course before, but it still will be a tough test for the relatively young team. Junior captain Katie O'Brien believes having played the course before doesn't provide too big of an advantage.

"Whether they have played it or not, all of the team will have an opportunity to play very well here," she said.

Head coach Mark Hamilton said the team would travel with eight girls, three of which will participate in the tournament as individuals.

"We have a lot of good skills on the team," Hamilton said. "It just seemed the wheels were falling off on some of the holes [the past few weekends]. We fixed those problems pretty easily and now we're ready to go."

The top of the lineup will include Sei, who will focus on personal goals as she sets the pace for the team.

"[I'll just] take one shot at a time," Sei said.

O'Brien has high hopes for the Jamboree and knows that the team has the ability and desire to finish strong.

"If we keep our heads in it this weekend, we are going to do very well," she said.