-

-

SMC Volleyball: Saint Mary’s knocks off struggling Albion

Grant Schmidt | Thursday, September 14, 2006

In a match that lasted a little over an hour, Saint Mary’s swept struggling Albion 3-0 (30-14, 30-20, 30-14) – only two weeks after their last meeting, a 3-2 Belles victory.

Despite the greater margin of victory, Belles head coach Julie Schroeder-Biek felt that her team was a little more challenged this time around.

“Even though we beat them solid in the invitational, Albion took two games from us,” she said. “I felt that they challenged us a little more there than they did tonight.”

Schroeder-Biek said her team could have taken it up a notch as well.

“We were not as crisp as we normally are, but we handled them well,” she said.

The Belles committed 13 service errors – a stat that did not leave the team pleased. But there was a lot for the team to take out of the victory.

“We challenged ourselves by not lowering our style of play and never relaxed,” she said.

Schroeder-Biek reminded her team throughout the match to respect Albion and not play down to its opponents level.

Kaela Hellmann contributed soundly with her superb blocking in the front row to add to her 40 blocks on the season. Libero Anne Cusack, tacked on a significant number of digs to add to her 195 season total.

Overall, Schroeder-Biek felt the Belles handled themselves well, and came at Albion with intensity.

The Belles will next take on Kalamazoo at home Sept. 20 and look for yet another MIAA victory.