Women's Interhall: Pyros take on Wild Women

The Wild Women of Walsh will meet up with the Pyros of Pasquerilla East tonight at 7 p.m. on Riehle West field - both teams hoping to bounce back from an opening week loss.

"I think we're pretty well rested," Pyros captain Molly Fox said. "We know Walsh has some really good athletes on their team, but we're ready to pull an upset."

Walsh (0-1) lost 8-6 to the Welsh Family Whirlwinds last Sunday. The loss was a tough one and Walsh hopes to erase all memory of it with a solid victory over Pasquerilla East.

Pasquerilla East was shutout 13-0 by a quick Badin defense. The Pyros hope to utilize an improved passing attack to get back to .500 with a second-week victory.

"We're kind of switching some people around," Fox said. "We might be moving some girls, putting them on both sides of the ball. We'd like to use the freshmen a lot."

Welsh Family vs. Lyons

The experienced and victorious Whirlwinds play at 8 p.m. tonight on Riehle West field against an untested Lions squad.

Welsh Family (1-0) is coming off of a solid victory Sunday over Walsh Hall and the team looks to rally of a two-game win streak.

Lyons Hall heads into the matchup after an opening week bye.

"It was nice to see other teams," Lyons cornerback Cheron Wilson said of the bye week. "We were able to scope out the competition for what we needed to do during a game. It was nice especially for our freshman to see what a game was like, to see how fast everything happens compared to in practice."

The Lions look to come out of the gates after a 2005 campaign where they missed the playoffs. The team fought hard but lost to the Wild Women of Walsh in a contest that would have vaulted the Lions into the postseason.

"It should be a good one," Wilson said. "People aren't expecting us to do well ... but I think we can."

Cavanaugh vs. Badin

The Cavanaugh Chaos will open its football season tonight at 9 p.m. Riehle West field against the undefeated Badin Bullfrogs.

Cavanaugh will be without many key players from last year's team due to graduation, and will rely on young talent to hopefully avenge last season's playoff defeat.

In practice, the Chaos have worked on becoming a well-rounded team, and eliminating any potential weaknesses.

"We've been practicing every aspect of the game," captain Kerri Bergen said. "We're just getting ourselves pumped up for the season."

Standing in Cavanaugh's way will be a pass-happy Badin squad, led by quarterback Katie-Rose Hackney and captain Meaghan Charlebois.

"We know we have to play a good team, but we're definitely ready," Charlebois said.

Bergen has equal respect for her opponent.

"Badin's got a good team," she said. "We've been practicing a lot, and all the girls are really excited to finally start the season."