Abortion display examined

On Thursday and Friday, Notre Dame Right to Life will be displaying what is known as the "Cemetery of the Innocents" on South Quad. This memorializes the over 47 million children who have been killed through surgical abortion in the United States since the Roe v. Wade court decision in 1973.

This year we are erecting 600 white crosses to represent the number of abortions performed in the United States in only four hours, the length of a Notre Dame football game. In addition, there will be 3,600 pink and blue flags representing the approximate number of surgical abortions that occur each day in the United States.

This cemetery is meant to serve as a reminder of what is in fact occurring when each abortion is performed. We hope that it makes clear what is being "chosen" and challenges the idea that abortion is a matter of "choice."

Finally, we wish to remember also the millions of women who have been harmed, both physically and psychologically, through the horror of abortion. They are remembered with a display of red roses, and we recall their pain and the pain of all those who have suffered because of abortion with a large wooden cross.

We pray that the hearts of all men and women will be inspired to acknowledge the dignity of life from the moment of conception to natural death. Let us take these days of Respect Life Month to reflect on the gift of life and the tragedy of a culture that often fails to recognize the value and dignity of every human person.

Adam Hoock

Co-Vice President

Notre Dame Right to Life

Oct. 5