Committees cover duLac, applications

Kaitlynn Riely | Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Midterms and fall break prevented the Campus Life Council’s (CLC) task forces from making significant progress since their last meeting Oct. 9, committee chairs told the group Monday.

Without any new business to report, CLC task force chairs described their committees’ ongoing work.

Chief executive assistant and Student Voice and Input task force chair Liz Brown said she met with Student Activities Office director Brian Coughlin last week to discuss ways to streamline the application process for students who want to serve on University committees. Coughlin and Brown decided they could use either the Student Activities Office Web site, SAOnline, or insideND to run the program.

Brown said her committee may work with the Office of Residence Life and Housing to develop a summarized version of duLac for students – tentatively titled “duLac for Dummies.”

“[Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs G. David] Moss just e-mailed me before the meeting to let me know that [Associate Vice President for Student Affairs] Bill Kirk and the Office of Residence Life and Housing are interested in collaborating with us on this,” Brown said.

Alumni Hall senator Danny Smith said the Student Concerns task force has been working to implement a plan to update all vending machines so they take Domer Dollars. Smith said the committee is also exploring ways to let students use Domer Dollars at various off-campus locations.

Student body vice president Bill Andrichik said he cancelled the Conduct Awareness task force’s meeting last week but said the committee will continue to focus on problems surrounding dorm “dis-orientations.”

Hall Presidents Council co-chair Katie Cordelli said she cancelled the Student Safety Ad Hoc task force meeting last Monday. After talking to Observer staff members, she said she has decided that an effective way to inform students how to stay safe is to send well-written Letters to the Editor addressing this topic.

u Student body president Lizzi Shappell struck down a resolution that would point out problems with and recommend improvements to new cable, wireless and cellular technology in residence halls. This issue, Shappell said, should be dealt with outside the CLC.