Executives address fire alarm precautions

Saint Mary's Board of Governance members discussed concerns raised by the fire alarm in LeMans Hall early Friday morning at their meeting Monday evening.

A fan in the fourth infirmary bathroom started to smoke in the early hours of Friday morning, and the decision was made to pull the fire alarm in order to evacuate the building, Residence Hall Association President Amy Dardinger said.

"Our main concern is that people did not hear the fire alarm," Dardinger said.

Student Body President Susan McIlduff agreed many people had reported sleeping through the alarm - a problem for resident safety.

"It is very important that everyone is leaving [the building]," McIlduff said. "It is campus policy that there will never be a drill at night."

She also said residents should evacuate a building immediately at the sound of a fire alarm.

"Don't be waiting, or stalling, or hiding things [that may or may not be allowed in dorm rooms], just get out," she said.

Dardinger said students should be aware there are some people that will never hear a fire alarm because they are heavy sleepers. She said these students should tell their friends they need to be woken up during an alarm.

A major concern about the alarm is that many students didn't hear the alarm who believe they should have, Dardinger said.

"If you didn't hear [the alarm] and you think that you should have [LeMans Hall Director Patricia Hodge] is asking that you email her," Dardinger said. "[Alarms] may need to be louder or we may need to put more in to be up to safety codes."

In Other BOG News:

uThe Holy Cross Hall Haunted Tunnels will take place the week after fall break on Oct. 26. Tickets will be on sale for $3 in the student center in the week leading up to the event, and $5 at the door.

uTrick-or-Treating will take place in all residence halls on Oct. 29. Students who wish to participate can pick up an orange pumpkin slip from the front desk of their hall after break and place it on their door to let Trick-or-Treaters know to know on the door.

uThe sophomore board sold out of their first shipment of "SMC loves Football" T-shirts and will be selling a second shipment during the week of Oct. 22 for $5 at dinner, sophomore class president Francesca Johnson said.