Just keep swimming

Instead of writing a satirical column on pop culture or the caliber of the dining hall food, I thought I would take this opportunity to motivate you - the reader - to tough it out for 10 more days. A week and a half. That is all I am asking. Why? Because Fall Break is almost here.

Despite midterm papers, exams, projects, presentations - and the list goes on - break is less than two weeks away, which I think is pretty refreshing.

Break could include anything from going home to visiting friends to service trips, but the key term is this: break.

One week of no classes, dining hall food or alarm clocks (I hope). Either way, it is something to look forward to, even though the next week-and-a-half may seem bleak.

From reading all the Post-Its all over my desk, getting to Fall Break is going to be the hardest part, but it can be done. Those few extra hours of studying and sacrifice of sleep will pay off in the long run. I believe in you.

I mean, it's nothing in comparison to finals, if that makes you feel any better.

Stay on top of your work. Do your homework. Watch your deadlines. These concepts may be new to some, but for 10 days I'm sure you can put on your "thinking caps" and buckle down.

I know that I am not a motivational speaker, but complaining about the impending workload isn't going to get it done now is it?

Being from Philadelphia, my motivation to work hard is just getting home and eating a nice big hoagie from Wawa and relaxing. I am easy to please.

Even if home (or wherever break may take you) may not be as relaxing as I am making it sound, I'm sure it will be a change of pace from class - which is a plus.

Unfortunately, since it is only mid-semester break, there might be a bit of homework to take care of before hitting the mall (or the couch), but that can probably be done on the trip home. I know I'll have things to keep me busy on the 11-hour car ride back east.

Maybe you're not looking forward to break for various reasons. In that case, I hope you keep busy and you're back here before you know it.

As for the rest of us, I wouldn't mind a night in my own bed, some home cooking and a shower without flip-flops. In fact, savor it.

I hate to quote Disney because it is so cliché, but in the words of Dorie from Finding Nemo, "Just keep swimming."

So wherever you end up on Fall Break, just remember that you worked hard and you deserve a little rest and relaxation. Enjoy.