Men’s Basketball: Falls named named Big East preseason honorable mention

Joe Meixell | Thursday, October 26, 2006

Irish guard Colin Falls, after three years of becoming one of the top sharpshooters in the country and establishing Notre Dame’s 3-point offensive identity in the Big East last season, was named All-Big East preseason honorable mention Wednesday.

The Irish senior is one of the three players to receive this distinction alongside Louisville junior forward David Padgett and Syracuse sophomore guard Eric Devendorf, as voted by the 16 Big East head coaches.

Falls averaged 13.8 points per game his junior season while setting a Notre Dame single season record with 3-point field goals (102). His 32-point game against Seton Hall on Feb. 18 was a career high .

Falls is a career 40.3 percent 3-point shooter (232-of-576) and an 82.9 percent free throw shooter (141-of-170) in 91 career games.

But for Falls, the goal heading into the season isn’t to set records or impress people around the league, even though he acknowledges he’s one of the more publicized players in the conference.

He just wants to win.

“I think we’re going to make [the NCAA Tournament], I don’t want to be on the cusp again,” said Falls on Media Day Oct. 11. “We’re going to have to prove ourselves, it’s easy to say it, but when it’s all said and done, I think we’re going to be picked on that Sunday.

“Our mindset going into last year was get better every day and try to get to the Big East tournament. Nobody on this team has been to the NCAA Tournament and I don’t want to graduate with that feeling.”

Eleven players were named to the preseason All-Big East team, including Pittsburgh forward Aaron Gray, Connecticut forward Jeff Adrien, DePaul forward Wilson Chandler, DePaul guard Sammy Mejia, Georgetown forward Jeff Green, Georgetown center Roy Hibbert, Louisville forward Juan Palacios, Marquette guard Dominic James, St. John’s forward Lamont Hamilton, Syracuse forward Terrance Roberts and Villanova forward Curtis Sumpter.

Gray was named Preseason Big East Player of the Year.

u Notre Dame was picked No. 11 in the Big East preseason coaches poll behind Pittsburgh, Georgetown, Syracuse, Marquette, Connecticut, Louisville, Villanova, DePaul, St. John’s and Providence.

West Virginia, Cincinnati, Rutgers, Seton Hall and South Florida round out the rankings.