Police eject, cite, arrest 61 at game

Police ejected 29 people from Notre Dame Stadium for alcohol related violations during Saturday's home football game against UCLA.

Two people were also arrested at the stadium - an adult for public intoxication and a student "for allegedly punching another student in the face and causing an injury," Associate Director of Notre Dame Security/Police (NDSP) Phil Johnson said in an e-mail Monday.

Twenty-three arrest tickets were issued to adults for violations of liquor laws and four tickets were issued to juveniles for the same violation outside the stadium, Johnson said.

Police made seven custodial arrests outside the stadium - two for public intoxication, two for violation of liquor laws and public intoxication, two for liquor law violations, false informing and resisting law enforcement and one for liquor violation, false informing and possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, Johnson said.

One juvenile was arrested for selling counterfeit tickets and was brought to the county juvenile justice center. Three other warnings were issued for "re-selling tickets on campus," Johnson said.

Arrested offenders were transported to St. Joseph County Jail, Johnson said.

Two people were sent to area hospitals by ambulance due to intoxication, Johnson said.

In addition, one person was issued a "trespass warning for urinating in a public place."

NDSP was assisted outside the stadium by Indiana State Excise Police, South Bend Police and St. Joseph County Police.

"Patrols of parking lots to promote a family friendly game day environment and to enforce Indiana laws regarding alcohol is not an undercover operation," Johnson said. "These patrols will continue for the next home football game."

Johnson did not specify whether preliminary breath tests (PBTs) were used or if police officers were in uniform or plain-clothes.

"NDSP will continue to work with other area police officials for the next home football game," Johnson said.

Johnson said if football weekend festivities include the use of alcoholic beverages, Indiana laws should be followed.

"Don't let alcohol get in the way of your safety or fun or keep you from enjoying a great football game," Johnson said. "Keep in mind that laws regarding the use of alcohol will be enforced and you are responsible for your conduct."