SMC Golf: Belles falls short of fifth straight MIAA title

Saint Mary's wanted to win the conference title this year, but after a season filled with disappointment, illness and injury, the Belles came up short of their goal.

Saint Mary's finished fourth at the MIAA Championship last weekend with a team score of 373 at the the par-72 Bedford Valley Country Club in Battle Creek, Mich. First place Olivet posted a 348 to clinch the conference title for the first time in more than 10 years.

Tri-State and Albion also finished ahead of the Belles, the first time either school has done so in five years. Tri-State shot a 355, Albion a 362.

Hope did not compete as a result of an "automobile accident en route to competition," according the MIAA's web site.

The 2006 League Medalist, an award given to the best performer over the course of the season, was given to Kristy Latimer, an Olivet senior who placed sixth in the championship tournament (88). Belles captain Katie O'Brien shot three strokes better than Latimer for an 85 and placed second in the tournament. O'Brien tied for second with Kylee Ehinger of Tri-State. AnnMarie Jasieniecki of Albion was the individual reader posting an 80.

Earning 14th place was freshman Kate Doornbos who fired a 92. Alex Sei (95), Katie McInerney (101) and Meredith Fantom (101) also contributed to the Belles' fourth place finish.

Four Belles earned league honors. Doornbos was the ninth lowest scorer in the MIAA, shooting a total of 352 in four conference tournament appearances. McInerney (379) placed 20th, Sei (382) 24th and Fantom (387) 27th. Olivet continued to dominate the conference with four of their golfers placing in the top four spots. Freshman Megan Rimmel led the golf leaders with a total score of 337.

Doornbos was the only Belle and only freshman who named to the All-MIAA Second Team.

Sophomore co-captain Sei said the pressure on the team contributed to its finish.

"We're such a young team, but we played well," Sei said. "Even though we didn't reach our goal [a fifth consecutive MIAA title] we'll be back in the spring."