-

-

SMC Soccer: Belles drop 2-1 match to Albion

Dan Murphy | Wednesday, October 4, 2006

Albion forward Brittany Cortese netted her second goal of the game from close range with 14 minutes remaining to give the Britons a 2-1 victory over Saint Mary’s Tuesday. The loss drops the Belles to 2-1 in MIAA play and 3-6 overall. Cortese’s goal – her sixth of the season – came off a rebound when Saint Mary’s goalkeeper Laura Heline stopped midfielder Andrea Torvinen but was unable to control the shot. The junior forward was able to free herself from her defender long enough to bury the game winner. “It was an unfortunate goal,” Saint Mary’s coach Caryn MacKenzie said. “[Heline] had the sun right in her eyes, the ball kind of short hopped her and she couldn’t pull it in.”The Belles threatened to tie it up again in the final 10 minutes with four quality chances. Britons keeper Caitlin Bowman was true to the test using skill and a little bit of luck to hold off the pressing Saint Mary’s offense. The Belles’ best opportunity failed when junior Sarah Dubree hit the post on a shot in the 83rd minute. “I felt like we played a very solid second half,” MacKenzie said. “We out possessed them and had some great opportunities at the end.”Cortese also started the action late in the first half. After receiving a pass from senior Danielle Shepherd, she took advantage of a young Belles defense and ripped a shot at the upper right corner of the net just out of Heline’s reach.Senior Ashley Hinton led the way on offense. Hinton got three shots on net and capitalized on a penalty kick early in the second half to knot the score at one apiece. The kick followed two consecutive Albion fouls on sophomore Lauren Hinton, who was working hard inside the entire game. The goal was Hinton’s third of the year.However, the lone goal was not enough as the Saint Mary’s offense struggled to finish against Bowman and the rest of the Albion defense.”Until we figure out how to consistently put two halves of soccer together we are going to keep coming up short like this,” MacKenzie said. The loss drops Saint Mary’s into third place in the conference behind the undefeated Calvin and Albion.Saint Mary’s will look to get back on track against Olivet this Saturday at noon.