Task force presents new objectives

Members of the Campus Life Council (CLC) listened to progress reports from task force chairs Monday instead of meeting with Robert Guthrie, the Office of Informational Technologies (OIT) representative who oversaw the dorm-wide installation of wireless Internet and cable television and the campus-wide improvement to cellular reception. Due to scheduling conflicts, Guthrie was unable to speak to the council at Monday's meeting, thus postponing the group's voting on a resolution that would point out problems with and recommend improvements to new technology in residence halls. The meeting's agenda instead focused on reports from task force chairs about what their committees had discussed in individual groups. Chief executive assistant Liz Brown, Student Voice and Input task force chair, said members of her committee are looking into planning global health awareness events to continue the work of the academic forum held in September. Brown said she is also exploring ways to develop a database for student representation in University committees. Student body president Lizzi Shappell began this initiative last year when she led the task force. Alumni Hall senator Danny Smith said the Student Concerns task force wanted to examine how to make information about programming more readily available to dorms. "We are going to look at program issues, like if you want to get a speaker, who do you go to?" Smith said. Student body vice president Bill Andrichik, Conduct Awareness task force chair, reminded the counsel of his committee's previously stated goal to focus on dorm disorientations. His group decided to approach the issue by looking at which dorms hold disorientations, where they are held, and whether dorm residents, Frosh-O staff members, or Resident Assistants are aware of it or encourage it. Hall Presidents Council co-chair Katie Cordelli said the Student Safety ad hoc task force discussed taking a preventative stance on crime against Notre Dame students. "Last week we decided to refocus on prevention education since things have been going fairly well after the first few instances [of crime against students]," Cordelli said. Cordelli said she has been in contact with The Observer about possibly submitting a series of letters to the editor advising students how to stay safe both on and off campus.

In other CLC news:Shappell announced freshman Matt Barloh would serve as the new parliamentarian for the student government. Former student body president Dave Baron made an appearance in the LaFortune Notre Dame room to greet members of the council, delaying the start of the meeting by five minutes.