Women’s Interhall: Ducks set for big game vs. defending champs

Kate Donlin and Matt Hopke | Thursday, October 5, 2006

The Howard Ducks will have their work cut out for them tonight at 7 as they try to take down the defending league champions from Pasquerilla West at Riehle West Field.

Last Sunday, the Weasels improved their record to 3-1 on the season with a 26-6 rout of Lewis. Pasquerilla West’s wins have come against Breen- Phillips, Farley and Lewis. The Weasels’ only loss this season was to Pangborn in a rematch of last year’s championship game.

“I think the number of returning players and coaches we have gives us a certain level of experience and maturity that has shown through in our play,” Weasels captain Mo Spring said. “Just as important, we have a great group of freshmen that are enthusiastic and have fit in really well with the team chemistry.”

Howard comes into the contest with momentum on its side. Last week the Ducks dominated McGlinn in a 20-0 win.

“We really pulled everything together on both sides of the ball,” Howard captain Catherine Krug said. “Our offense was on track and our defense really stepped up with some big interceptions.”

The Ducks’ season has been a series of ups-and-downs so far. In their first game, they edged out a 6-0 win over Lewis. But Howard was unable to contain the quick Pangborn offense in the second game of the season and fell to the Phoxes. More recently, the Ducks lost against Farley Oct. 29.

But the big win Sunday against McGlinn has left Howard feeling optimistic about Thursday’s game.

Krug said she is excited about the progress her team has shown in the past couple and games, and thinks her team is ready to take on the Weasels.

“I hope that we can build on what we did on Sunday,” Krug said. “We got a taste of how successful we can be when both the offense and the defense play up to their ability, and hopefully we will do just that [today].”

McGlinn vs. Farley

Farley’s Finest hope to extend their two-game winning streak tonight at 8 when they face McGlinn at Riehle West Field.

McGlinn has fought hard this season but has finished on the short end more times than not. The Shamrocks fell 25-6 to Breen-Phillips Sept. 24, and their disappointment continued last week when Howard shut out the Shamrocks, 20-0.

“We’ve had a tough start to the season, but the team has been practicing very hard and we’re hoping that everything will start coming together in [tonight’s] game,” said McGlinn captain Madeline Boyer.

McGlinn will have to play well to reverse its fortunes against a confident Farley team.

“Last week we had a great week and gained a lot of momentum,” Farley captain Kim Crehan said. “Everyone played so well, and I’m proud of the way our team has come together.”

Like all teams, the Finest have their eyes set on the playoffs, and Crehan said she hopes Farley’s recent performances will propel it to its goal after a rocky start to the season.

The Finest had to play both teams from last year’s championship game – Pangborn and Pasquerilla West – in their opening two games. Farley picked up losses on both of these matchups, but the team didn’t let those games ruin the season. After topping Howard, the Finest dominated both sides of the ball and topped Breen-Phillips in a 20-6 win Sunday.

Pangborn vs. Lewis

Tonight’s 9 p.m. contest at Riehle West Field between the Pangborn Phoxes and the Lewis Chicks features two teams heading in opposite directions.

The Phoxes (4-0) have been the team to beat in the early season, recording victories over Farley, Howard, McGlinn and last year’s champions, the Purple Weasels of Pasquerilla West.

Lewis (0-4) has not fared as well. The Chicks have lost to Howard, McGlinn, Breen-Phillips and Pasquerilla West. But they hope to play spoiler to the Phoxes.

Pangborn has played with a fire in its eyes all season, not quick to forget its shutout loss in the Stadium for last season’s championship.

With a squad full of upperclassmen that starred in last year’s final, the Phoxes have every intention of getting back to the Stadium to reverse the outcome. Their four wins guarantee them a spot in the playoffs and a win tonight should clinch the No. 1 seed.

“The key to our success so far has been how well the team gelled,” Pangborn captain Katie Riemorsma said. “We have a lot of returning players so everyone knows what to do on the field. Everyone’s on the same page.”

The most intriguing story on the Pangborn squad might just be the play of its lone freshman starter, Meghan Bescher. With her speed, Bescher is a threat at wide receiver, defensive back and kick returner. Only four games into the season, Bescher has seven touchdowns and six interceptions.