Women's Interhall Football: Phoxes down Lewis; Farley blanks McGlinn

A clever Brynn Johnson reverse was all it took for the Pangborn Phoxes (5-0) to seal their 25-0 victory over Lewis and continue a dominant run that has the team looking like the favorite heading into the playoffs.

Thursday's game was called four minutes into the second half after Johnson's touchdown put the Phoxes up by 25, forcing the mercy rule to come in effect.

Pangborn's offense has been unstoppable, generating 81 points in its last three games. Opposing teams - like Lewis - have struggled with the variety of weapons the Phoxes present. Quarterback Katie Mooney is a threat both in the air and on the ground, throwing for another three touchdowns Thursday. Her receivers - junior captain Katie Riemersma and freshman sensation Meghan Bescher - have been equally strong, combining for over 100 yards with three Bescher touchdowns.

"Offensively we had a strong game," Riemersma said. "We wanted to focus on running deeper routes and we did so well."

A nice compliment to Pangborn's high-powered offense is a defense that has recorded shutouts in the Phoxes' last two games.

The Chicks (0-5) turned to thier running game, but the Phox defensive line was up to the challenge, limiting the Chicks to less than 50 yards on the night.

The Phoxes will face Breen-Phillips this Sunday, while Lewis will wrap up their season with a game against Farley.

Farley 19, McGlinn 0

Thursday's battle between Farley and McGlinn ended just 24 minutes into the game after the Shamrocks forfeited the second half. McGlinn's season continues to be plagued by unexpected challenges that have made it tough to see the results they want.

Only eight McGlinn players showed up for Thursday's matchup - the minimum required for a game to take place.

The Shamrocks started out with the ball, but turned it over on the first play of the game.

Once Farley gained possession, it wasted no time advancing the ball down the field. Farley's quarterback, Brittany Baron, consistently connected with open receivers. Farley scored its first touchdown off a short pass to Annie Parrett, but failed the extra point attempt.

McGlinn's strategy was to complete lots of short passes and slowly work its way toward the end zone. On a risky fourth down attempt, the Shamrocks fell just short of the first down, turning the ball over on downs to Farley.

Parrett continued to contribute to her team's offense with a couple big runs, darting between defenders and earning Farley a series of first downs. Eventually the Finest moved the ball past the goal line with Baron's 10-yard touchdown pass to captain Kim Crehan, putting Farley up 13-0.

The Shamrocks hoped to put some points on the board when they got the ball back, but once again failed on fourth down - this time on their own 18.

On the next play, Baron tossed the ball to one of her receivers for another quick touchdown. At the end of the half - and what turned out to be the end of the game - Farley led by 19.

Parrett was happy about the team's win, but a bit disappointed with how it was earned. "McGlinn just wasn't able to get enough players to the field, and since we were within once point of the mercy rule, they decided to call the game at the half."

Both Farley and McGlinn will play their final games of the regular season next week. Farley will face the Lewis Chicks, while McGlinn plays Pasquerilla West

Pasquerilla West 33, Howard 6

Senior leadership and four big interceptions helped the Weasels earn their victory over Howard. The Weasel offense was unstoppable, and the team managed to put points on the board on each possession.

Pasquerilla West captain Mo Spring was impressed by her team's play

"Like all teams it is our goal to peak at the end of the season, heading into playoffs, which is what is happening for us now," she said.

Spring led the Weasel defense along with seniors Brigid Bulfin and Julie Putnam.

Howard's defense didn't have as much success in stopping the Weasels' charge. Weasel quarterback Cara Davies consistently found receivers down field, allowing the offense to make first down after first down. On their first possession, the Weasels quickly put 6 points on the board with a 5-yard touchdown pass to Spring, who also caught a pass for the extra point.

The Ducks had a promising start to the game when Laura Plis intercepted Davies' pass and ran it 40 points for a touchdown. After missing the extra point, the Ducks trailed just 6-7.

Once the Weasels got the ball back, they made a repeat performance of their first drive. Spring grabbed a short touchdown pass, and freshman Cynthia Curley reached over her defender for the extra point, putting the Weasels up 14-6. Before the end of the half, Spring once again carried the ball across the goal line to give her team a 21-6 halftime lead.

The Ducks defense continued to struggle after the half. A long Weasels drive - with two big receptions by Curley - culminated in a 5-yard touchdown pass to Bulfin, adding 6 to the Weasels score.

Before the end of the game, the Weasels managed to intercept two more Howard passes, one of which resulted in another Pasquerilla West touchdown.

This was the final game of the Ducks regular season. Pasquerilla West will take on the McGlinn Shamrocks Sunday afternoon.