Police eject 28 at football game, make one arrest

Police ejected 28 people, arrested one person and brought another to the hospital during Saturday's football game against North Carolina for intoxication or alcohol related violations.

Despite the noticeable increase in the amount of marshmallows thrown in the student section at halftime, Associate Director of Notre Dame Security/Police Phil Johnson did not have any information.

When asked about reports of students being injured or sent to the hospital, Johnson said he did "not have any information about it."

"We've tried to check students as they come in to try to look for marshmallows, but you know, students find ways to get them in," said Bob Zerr, Director of Risk Management and Safety, who said he knew of one student who was injured by marshmallows at the football game.

Zerr said he had no responsibility in checking students for marshmallows, but that Risk Management works in conjunction with NDSP. He said his office did not receive any phone calls about the marshmallow-throwing

Outside the stadium, police made six custodial arrests, five for public intoxication and one for liquor law violation, false informing, possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. All offenders that were arrested were transported to St. Joseph County jail, Johnson said.

Twenty-two additional arrest tickets were issued outside the stadium for violations of liquor laws, some for minors in consumption. Two tickets were issued to juveniles for violations of liquor laws, Johnson said.

In addition, one person was issued a "trespass warning after he disregarded officers' requests to stop drinking alcohol during the game in the parking lot," Johnson said.

Three other no trespass warnings were issued for "re-selling tickets on campus."

NDSP was assisted outside the stadium by Indiana State Excise Police, South Bend Police and St. Joseph County Police.

"Police and security staff patrol parking lots to help promote a family friendly game day environment and to enforce Indiana laws regarding alcohol," Johnson said. "This is not an undercover operation."

Johnson did not specify whether preliminary breath tests (PBTs) were used or if police officers were in uniform or plain-clothed.

The patrols will continue for the next home football game on Nov. 18, Johnson said.

"The last game of the home season is coming up. We are particularly concerned about seniors who will be celebrating the last home game of their undergraduate years," Johnson said. "We hope the final game is a great experience - one seniors remember forever for the fun times shared with classmates throughout the football seasons."

Johnson said unruly or unlawful behavior can be reported to NDSP.

"Keep in mind that laws regarding the use of alcohol will be enforced and you are responsible for your conduct," he said. "Law enforcement officers will arrest underage drinkers on campus and at tailgate parties."

Mary Kate Malone contributed to this report.