-

-

A final word. Or two.

Alec White | Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Self-righteous rant begins … now.

I first realized I was talented in high school, when I was already using college-ruled paper. Since that day, I calmly bided my time to step into the limelight of the only independent news source for the Notre Dame community, and in my freshman year I met a person that would irrevocably change my next four years. After I dumped her, I met Erik Powers.

My first conversation with Erik was a lewd joke with the punch line “a skunk killed with an axe.” A bit of wit and fortuitously inappropriate last names propelled us into candidacy for the presidency of Our Lady’s student body. five-hundred five votes and several children’s drawing books later, Erik and I were cartoonists with a knack for the unnecessary.

Causing controversy was never our main goal, but it sure found us. Editors, Coach Weis, some girl Annie, maybe Jesus and of course Saint Mary’s all let us know that we were doing something right. I understand that each complaint may have contained some validity, and I have learned from them some valuable lessons. After all, stereotypes are not representative of individuals, but they are, quite often, hilarious.

This past semester I have enjoyed the opportunity to skewer my own Notre Dame experience. I thank everyone that has taken time to read Jocular, even if they were really just stumped by the Jumble or Crossword, and I thank Erik Powers for unknowingly taking the blame for my bad work.

For over a year-and-a-half I have spent more time with Microsoft Paint than my family, friends or schoolwork. I mostly learned that the undo button will only work three times, and that my roommates would chuckle at Guernica if it got me to shut up, but I would do every bit of it over again.

Over break, Erik and I will work on a book of every strip ever published or censored, and maybe you will find a laugh or two in it. For now it is time to leave the daily Notre Dame world and focus on a career that doesn’t involve panhandling from my parents. I cannot be thankful enough for having had the opportunity to have a daily voice here on campus.

When I first arrived on campus, my rector challenged me to leave a mark on this campus. He probably meant something less heretical, but what can you expect from a self-proclaimed high Anglican?

I hope that the comic strip has enhanced your Notre Dame experience because the opportunity to share it with this whole community (including Saint Mary’s) has certainly made mine.

… And buy the book in case I can’t get a job.