Group debates bowl ticket policy

Sonia Rao | Wednesday, December 6, 2006

The media frenzy surrounding the BCS selections found its way into LaFortune, where the Council of Representatives (COR) discussed student ticket privileges for football games during its meeting Tuesday night.

Members brought forth student concerns about the lottery for Sugar Bowl tickets, expressing the apprehension that with a “one ticket per I.D.” policy, it is possible for a student to win tickets, but not his friends.

“I know for my friends we’ve had a lot of concerns like [what to do if] only one of us gets tickets,” said Judicial Council president Liz Kozlow.

However, Hall Presidents’ Council co-chair Brian Lowery argued that the policy for obtaining bowl tickets prevents students from buying more than one ticket and selling them to non-Notre Dame students.

“With large numbers of people entering the lottery and the chance that a second ticket might go to a friend or family member rather than a student, then it might be beneficial to only have a one ticket policy,” he said.

Student Union Board Manager Patrick Vassel agreed, recalling that “last year a lot of students [were saying] ‘yeah I’ll buy one [ticket] and sell one.’ I think we’d be hard-pressed to say we haven’t heard of people selling tickets even at face value.”

The decrease in the number of home football tickets available for parents was also discussed. Next year, only two tickets will be available to parents for only one football game, as opposed to the previously offered four tickets to two football games. Student body president Lizzi Shappell said some students have expressed the sentiment that “limiting family tickets to two tickets is going to limit how many of their family members will be able to come in for student weekend and parent weekends.”

Lowery suggested a correlation between restricted availability family tickets and the availability of season tickets.

“It’s interesting that the parent tickets are being reduced at the same time that they are implementing season tickets,” he said.

Vassel agreed, remarking that “thirty-some years [have passed] since there’s been season tickets available … it doesn’t seem to be a fair correlation – at least for students.”

In other COR news:

Club Coordination Council president Kerry Kilbourn highlighted various activities and responsibilities of the CCC as it was the organization spotlight for the week. Kilbourn said the CCC focuses primarily on allotting money to various student clubs. Last year, club requests totaled $550,000, later brought down to $480,000. Kilbourn said the CCC is automatically guaranteed 33 percent of the annual Student Union budget to divide among various organizations.

Shappell asked for any follow-up on last week’s discussion about promoting more student awareness and involvement in student government. Several suggestions revolved around Web sites, including putting a link to student government on the Notre Dame’s homepage.

Though there are plans to revamp the school’s Web site, student body vice president Bill Andrichik said “the web group that is in charge of developing [Notre Dame’s webpage] wanted to keep the homepage pretty simplified, so I doubt there would be a direct link on the homepage.”