Monday, May 13, 2024

Men's Swimming: Warmer waters await ND

The No. 16 Irish will be hard at work over Christmas break, going on their annual training trip to Boca Raton, Fla., from Dec. 28-Jan. 10 before taking on Oakland Jan. 12 and Cleveland State Jan. 13.

"This is all about getting ready for February," Irish head coach Tim Welsh said. "It's a very hard work period for us."

The team will stay in hotels near the campus of St. Andrew's Prep School and take advantage of the school's outdoor facilities and weight rooms during its two weeks of training.

"Essentially it's a place to practice that's not South Bend," associate coach Matt Tallman said.

Notre Dame will have little time to bask in the Florida sunshine, as the team will train vigorously over the two-week period.

"We mostly do two-a-days for the time we are down there," Tallman said. "It's a better atmosphere mentally. We'll be outdoors in the sun."

Welsh said the team uses this opportunity to get in shape for its meet against Northwestern (currently No. 9 in the CSCAA poll) and the Big East meet Feb. 14-17.

"There's no time to get in shape once school starts again," he said. "You have to already be in shape."

After completing their training, the Irish will face Oakland in a dual meet Jan. 12. Notre Dame previously bested Oakland by 106 points in the Dennis Stark Relays Oct. 6. It will then head to Cleveland State to take on Duquesne and Xavier the following day.

"Oakland has improved much over the last few years," Welsh said.

Notre Dame is off to a fast start this season, winning the Stark Relays, posting a 4-0 record in dual meet competition - including its first win over Purdue in 19 years - and finishing third in The Ohio State Invitational last weekend.