Hanna elected 2007-08 Observer editor in chief

Justin Tardiff | Monday, January 29, 2007

The Observer General Board elected managing editor Maddie Hanna as the 2007-08 editor in chief on Saturday.

Hanna, a junior French major and journalism, ethics and democracy minor from Meq-uon, Wis. who resides off campus after living in Lewis Hall, joined The Observer as a news reporter during the fall of her freshman year. Since then, she has covered a wide variety of beats, including student government, campus crime and disciplinary procedures and the Office of the University President.

“I’m thrilled to have this opportunity and I’m very lucky we have such a dedicated and talented staff,” Hanna said.

During Hanna’s term as managing editor, she oversaw the day-to-day editorial operations of The Observer, where she saw “what works and what doesn’t” while gaining a “broad sense of what we can do better,” she said. Hanna also worked closely with the news department.

“I have confidence in Maddie’s ability to lead The Observer next year,” outgoing editor in chief Mike Gilloon said. “She has a wealth of great ideas and an excellent relationship with the staff.”

Hanna said she hopes to undertake projects during her tenure that include improving writing throughout The Observer, pushing for more investigative reporting and upgrading the newspaper’s Web site.

“I want our coverage to better serve the Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s communities,” Hanna said. “Also, The Observer is a great training ground, and I want to make sure students interested in journalism get the experience they need.”

Hanna will assume the position as editor in chief on March 5.