-

-

SUB proposes reforms

Sonia Rao | Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Student Union Board (SUB) manager Patrick Vassel proposed amendments to sections in the constitution relating to budget structure at the Council of Representatives (COR) meeting Wednesday.

Budget oversight was among Vassel’s main concerns, as current procedure dictates that the Financial Management Board (FMB) must approve organization spending over $5,000.

SUB often exceeds $5,000 in expenditures and is often working with agents on tight schedules.

“Raising it to ten [thousand dollars] would make a big difference to us.” Vassel said. “It’s more just being able to have a little more flexibility within our own organization.”

While the oversight mark may be low for SUB, other members pointed out that it suits other student organizations just fine.

“If a club only has a few thousand dollars in their account and they want to plan this huge trip somewhere then that’s something FMB needs to see,” Class of 2008 president Bridget Keating said.

Breen-Phillips senator Maris Braun said that “the amount of money [SUB] deal[s] with on a regular basis is so much more than everyone else’s,” suggesting that SUB could be made an exception to oversight restrictions.

Vassel also noted that a section of SUB’s budget is meant for “policy-based programming” and should be relocated under student government funds. When the fund was created, it was thought that all programming should be very explicitly kept under programming bodies, namely SUB, and not student government, Vassel said.

“As far as we’re concerned it’s student government’s money,” he said.

Vice president Bill Andrichik voiced concern that relocating the division of SUB funds to student government funds could result in FMB adding less money to policy-based programming.

“If we took it out of SUB [we need] to make sure it’s still considered a separate entity … so that it’s not lumped under a student government budget,” he said.

Vassel agreed, saying that he doesn’t “want that money to disappear … it just doesn’t need to be under SUB.”

In other COR news:

u Student body president Lizzi Shappell announced the Community Summit will take place on March 2. Letters will be sent to local leaders and there are plans to further network with other universities in the area. She also encouraged members to attend the Notre Dame Eating Disorders Conference, set to take place next Thursday, Friday and Saturday.