Bengal Bouts: JACC-ed up

In the first fight of the tournament, the freshman Michael Sayles pulled out a unanimous victory over the St. Ed's sophomore Ricky Chapman in the 129 lb. division.

As the round one bell chimed, the wild punches started the tournament. Sayles, who lives in Sorin College, landed several jabs, setting up his right hooks.

Round two saw Chapman start off throwing punches, but the freshman in the blue corner was able to block most of them. Once Chapman dropped his guard for a moment, Sayles quickly struck back with a flurry of punches, many landing to the head.

In the third round, Chapman settled down a bit, and began to land some punches. Fatigue, however, showed from both fighters, and the match ended with Sayles sealing the deal as he landed several power punches.

Nathan Serazin def.

Dan Brannan

Serazin, a junior from Siegfried, won a split decision over Brannan.

Brannan, a sophomore from Fisher Hall, looked to be winning the first round of the fight.

After the bell rang, Brannan was more patient and attacked when Serazin's guard was down. Also, the sophomore was working both the head and the body with his punches. However, a late surge by Serazin scored some points with the judges.

Round two started with both fighters weighing each other out. Brannan connected with some power shots to the head and the body, as Serazin moved about the canvas to flee the punches. Both fighters displayed excellent footwork in the ring.

In the third round, Serazin improved his blocking and defensive strategy, and as a result was able to land more counter punches.

Danny Wemple def.

Dymtro Aponte

Wemple, a freshman from Siegfried, won a unanimous decision over Aponte, a law student from Fisher.

The fight started with wild punches being thrown. Aponte defenselessly charged at Wemple, who took advantage of open holes on his opponent. Wemple was able to use his height and reach over his opponent to his advantage, landing his jab with frequency. With his overly aggressive style, Aponte was able to land some punches, but hit air more he hit Wemple.

In the second round, Aponte continued his aggressive charge, and Wemple was able to connect some power punches to the face.

The third round went on much like the first two, as Wemple was able to land several power punches while avoiding Aponte's charges. At one point, Aponte was charging blindly, with his long hair obstructing his vision.

Walter Bruen def.

Steven Rivera

Bruen, a freshman from Sorin, won a split decision over Rivera, a freshman from St. Ed's.

The first round started off fairly organized, as the two fighters seemed to have some sort of strategy to foil their opponents. Bruen was able to land some punches to the head, causing the referee to stop the fight for a standing eight count.

Bruen turned to his jab in round two in an attempt to set up some of his combinations. The ref was forced to stop the fight after Rivera connected with a solid head shot, causing blood to trickle from Bruen's nose.

In round three, both fighters traded wild punches, as Bruen landed most of his. The freshman from Sorin seemed to become more patient as the round went on, as he tried to incorporate his jab in the fight. Both fighters had bloody noses as the match came to an end.

135 lb.

Chris Lee def. Jason Hensler

Lee, an off-campus senior, defeated Hensler, a sophomore from Zahm, in a unanimous decision.

Round one began with Lee throwing a wild fury of punches, which eventually caused the referee to hold Hensler to a standing eight count. Hensler, a southpaw, seemed to confuse Lee at first, but the victor was able to adapt well.

In the second round, Lee continued his string of wild punches, as Hensler tried to block the assault. However, due to the high amount of thrown punches, both fighters appeared fatigued as the round wore on. Towards the end of the round, Hensler was able to land a solid counterpunch to Lee's head.

In the third round, Hensler landed some counterpunches, but it appeared that Lee's disorderly punches were too much for the sophomore to handle. On Feb. 26, Lee will face Brian DeSplinter in the quarterfinals.

Mike Howard def.

Michael Reeve

Howard, a sophomore from Stanford, recorded the first knockout of the night, dominating Reeve, a sophomore from Dillon.

In the first round, Reeve was fighting aggressively, trying to get in Howard's face. However, Howard's long reach enabled him to keep his room - and punish Reeve.

The second round didn't last very long. Again it started with Reeve charging at Howard. Reeve seemed to be connecting some more punches until Howard landed a right hook, knocking Reeve out 30 seconds into the second round.

Paul Oddy def. Joey Maher

Keenan sophomore Oddy knocked out Maher, a senior from Dillon, one minute into the third round.

As the bell marked the beginning of the first round, both fighters were blocking extremely well and patiently waiting for an entry in their opponent's defense to attack. Oddy landed several power punches in the round and was able to effectively use his jab to set up his straight. Maher was on the defensive for the majority of the round and was not able to land as efficiently as Oddy.

In round two, Oddy was targeting his opponent's head, accurately landed several punches. Oddy was determined to finish the fight in the third round as he came out firing punches. In the final round, he successfully attempted to bring his jab into the fight, which set up his other punches. Maher was able to come up with a series of counter punches, but Oddy landed a straight shot to knock out Maher.

Chris Cugliari def.

Glenn Gutierrez

After two straight knock outs, Cugliari, a freshman from Dillon, reinvigorated the crowd with a split-decision win over Gutierrez, a sophomore from Knott.

In round one, Gutierrez started swinging in a disorderly manner, causing Cugliari to put up his guard. Cugliari played defense well and held off the barrage. Although Gutierrez started out the round landing more hits, the freshman from Dillon began working his jab more accurately and started to score points with the judges.

Round two saw Gutierrez use an unorthodox method of blocking punches with relative success. Cugliari was able to alter his strategy and turned his focus to landing body punches, which slowed Gutierrez down substantially.

The third round saw both fighters exchanging punches to the crowd's delight.

Rick Ward def. Mark Hincapie

Ward, a sophomore from St. Ed's, outlasted Stanford freshman Hincapie in a battle between two patient fighters.

The first round started with both fighters weighing each other out and analyzing an entry for attack. Hincapie was the first to strike, landing several quick blows to the head. Ward was having some difficulty fighting off and defending Hincapie's punches in the first round. However, Ward was able to land several counterpunches to finish out a close round.

Round two saw Hincapie moving around the ring efficiently, landing his one-two combinations. Hincapie was also able to block Ward's punches. However, Ward mustered a late surge in the round, to which Hincapie responded with his own streak of punches.

Ward started the final round blocking and counter punching much better than he had in the previous two rounds. He began to use his jab to compliment his other punches. However, as fatigue set in, both fighters slowed down. Ward finished off the round with solid combinations which stemmed from his effective and forceful jab.

Connor Cain def. Chris Ulad

Cain, a freshman from Morrissey, won in a unanimous decision over Ulad, a senior from Stanford.

Right off the bat, Ulad started the first round with nice combinations, in what was a patient opening. Both fighters analyzed their opponents' style, as Ulad began to work both the body and the head. However, Cain was able to make a surge of his own, despite his poor blocking.

Round two started a little more chaotically than the first, with Cain landing some power punches. Throughout the middle of the round, he continued to land a flurry of blows, as Ulad seemed to back off from his opponent. In the end, Cain's long reach worked to his advantage, as punches were traded to end the round.

The third and final round saw Cain landing several straights to Ulad's head.

140 lb.

Joey Brown def. Paul Aleman

Brown, a sophomore from Morrissey used his jab to set up other combinations in a unanimous victory over Morrissey sophomore Aleman.

Soon after the first round started, several wild punches were exchanged between both fighters, with Aleman getting his licks in. Brown finished the round with a strong surge that set the tempo for the rest of the fight.

As round two commenced, both fighters traded away punches. Brown used his jab to lower Aleman's defenses and get closer to his opponent. Regardless of what Brown threw at Aleman, the Manorite was able to defend well.

The third round saw Brown let loose punches to which Aleman had to defend and block. Aleman landed some counterpunches, but the unfazed Brown took the victory.

Eric Feduska def.

Johnathan Sarna

Feduska, a sophomore from Siegfried, beat Carroll freshman Sarna in unanimous fashion.

Round one started with several wild exchanges in which Sarna landed some power punches. To counter his opponent, Feduska tried to improve his blocking and work the jab with more frequency. To finish the round, he cornered Sarna and landed a string of combinations.

In the second round, Feduska displayed great footwork and head movement to avoid Sarna's blows. Feduska continued to work the jab to set up his combinations, earning him points with the judges. Sarna's defense grew worse throughout the round, and he was eventually forced into a standing eight count.

In the third round, Sarna displayed a sense of urgency and came out firing punches, to which Feduska was able to block and counter effectively. The sophomore from Siegfried dominated the final round landing a barrage of punches, forcing Sarna into another standing eight count. Right before the bell sounded ending the fight, Feduska sealed his victory with a forceful uppercut.

Christopher Hanlon def.

Greg Abbracciamento

Hanlon, an off-campus senior, knocked out Morrissey freshman Abbracciamento.

Round one started with Hanlon immediately going to his jab to set up his combinations. Abbracciamento attempted to defend Hanlon's punches but couldn't. This resulted in furious punches landing on Abbracciamento's head, causing a standing eight count.

Abbracciamento tried to recuperate lost points with his own combinations in the second round and may have done so with sloppy defense displayed by both fighters.

The third round lasted only a minute thanks to a commanding uppercut haymaker that drew blood from Abbracciamento's nose.

Mark Weber def. Greg Antell

Keenan sophomore Weber won a split decision over Antell, a freshman from Carroll.

Round one started with several solid jabs from Weber. Antell seemed to fight conservatively, not punching or blocking as effectively as his opponent.

The second round commenced with both boxers trading punches between each other. Antell's performance improved, as he began to settle down and land more accurately. However, Weber was able to counterpunch and use a medley of jabs and hooks to weaken his opposition.

Antell started the third round with some combinations, although they were slightly uncontrollable punches. Weber's defense seemed to get worse as the fight progressed, but a strong finish from the Keenan sophomore sealed his victory. For Antell it was too little too late.

Christopher Hartstein def. Eddie White

Defense was optional in the match between Keough junior White and Hartstein, a freshman Roo. Harstein beat White when the ref stopped the fight one minute into the third round.

Round one started with the dorm mates flinging thunderous punches at each other. Although White made an attempt to block some punches, Harstein connected on a higher percentage of his blows.

In the second round, Hartstein connected with a fury of power punches, forcing White into a standing eight count. White's inability to block and protect his head helped Hartstein control the fight. Harstein forced White into standing eight count.

Crazy punching continued in the last round, as Hartstein landing shots to both the head and body.

Michael Johnson def. John Thomson

Dillon freshman Johnson beat Thomson, a sophomore from Fisher, in a split decision.

The first round saw Johnson corner Thomson and land an array of punches early in the fight. Johnson made it a point to target both the head and body to make Thomson's blocking more difficult. Although Johnson was taking control of the round, he was having trouble defending, and Thomson was able to land some combinations.

In the second round, Thomson connected several blows forcing Johnson to stumble about the ring. Johnson responded with a string of hooks and jabs, forcing the referee to stop the fight momentarily due to blood on Thomson's face.

In the third round, Thomson began throwing several combinations at Johnson, who was able to successfully counter, due to his quick head movement that enabled him to avoid punches. Johnson finished the match strong with a set of combinations, eventually earning him a split decision.

Nate Dyer def. R.J. Jacobi

In the end, it would be Dyer, an off-campus senior, won a unanimous decision over O'Neill sophomore Jacobi on one of the night's most entertaining fights.

Dyer landed several combinations in the first round, forcing Jacobi to block and defend. Dyer also did an excellent job of dancing around the ring to avoid blows and eventually countered with some power punches.

The second round started with the crowd roaring chants of "R.J." that fired the boxer up. However, Dyer stole the thunder from the crowd and fought back with determination, landing several jab-hook combos. Dyer proved to be the flashier fighter, blocking punches well.

Dyer worked Jacobi's body in the last round. However, Jacobi fought on with a serious string of counter punches. Dyer displayed excellent footwork, as Jacobi improved his blocking in the end of the fight. However, his lack of opportunities gave Dyer the nod.

145 lb.

Hull def. Ben Fotsch

In a battle between two Bouts rookies, the Zahmbie freshman Hull took out St. Ed's freshman Fotsch unanimously.

Round one started with Fotsch swinging punches with a lack of control, to which Hull blocked and countered effectively. Fotsch worked the body, but Hull's reach proved to be useful when attacking his opponent's head.

Both fighters traded power punches in the second round, with Fotsch landing the majority his attempts. In what was a very close round, Hull continued to use his reach, but his defense deteriorated causing him significant trouble.

The third round began with Fotsch landing several combinations. However, Hull countered with a straight right to his opponent's chest knocking him off his feet. This was the swing of momentum Hull needed to earn him a unanimous victory.

Matt Posluzny vs. Matthew Ireton

Posluzny, sophomore from St. Ed's, pulled off a unanimous over Ireton, an off-campus senior.

Posluzny started with a flurry of strong punches against his opponent. Posluzny used his height and his reach to frustrate Ireton throughout the fight, causing him to resort to blocking and defensive fighting.

Posluzny came out swinging in the second round. Ireton countered with some punches, but not enough to inflict sufficient damage. Posluzny continued a barrage of combos, causing the referee to stop the fight for a standing eight count. The sophomore from St. Ed's went to a well-timed jab-uppercut combo that caused the crowd to roar - and blood to trickle form Ireton's face.

Ireton resorted to desperate defensive tactics in round three. However, Posluzny's punches proved to be too strong for his opponent. Rival crowds began to get involved and fire up the fighters. Posluzny's supporters had more to cheer about once he finished off the match with a solid combination.

Conor Douglass def. Kent Gonzalez

Douglass, a sophomore from Sorin, recorded a unanimous win over Gonzalez, a sophomore from O'Neill.

Both boxers traded combinations and counter punched effectively in the first round. They also displayed poor defense in the early going of the match. Douglass attempted to work the body and landed solid hooks inflicting a standing eight count.

Round two saw Douglass land a solid punch, dazing Gonzalez early. However, the sophomore from O'Neill fought back courageously landing some counterpunches. However, it was his lack of defense that enabled Douglass to bleed from the nose forcing another count.

Douglass' windups connected more often than Gonzalez in the third. Gonzalez lost control of the fight after Douglass continued to pinpoint his bloody nose, causing the referees top award the fight to Douglass.

Patrick Kibbe def. Charlie Jain

Kibbe, a sophomore from Knott, unanimously eliminated Jain, a freshman from Zahm.

Kibbe used his long arms in round one to work his jab and his one-two combinations. The sophomore from Knott also displayed excellent footwork in the ring, as he landed a solid straight forcing Jain into a standing eight count.

Round two saw Kibbe land another wild flurry of punches. Jain tried to counter several times and was only able to do so with a low percentage. Once again, Kibbe used his reach to his advantage, giving his opponent difficulty to get inside and land many punches.

A solid haymaker hook from Kibbe started the final round, and the sophomore began to work the body as well. Jain tried to land some body punches, but his inability to defend Kibbe's combos cost him the fight. Kibbe finished the match with an excellent combo stemming from his jab.

By Lorenzo Reyes

lreyes@nd.edu