College Trustees return to campus

Saint Mary's welcomed 30 Trustees to campus Thursday for the Board's quarterly two-day meeting.

Committee meetings took place Thursday, and the full Board meets today. All of the meetings are closed and all official announcements from the Board will come from College President Carol Ann Mooney.

"The agendas of the Board meetings are not released prior to the meeting," Executive Assistant to the President Susan Dampeer said. "But the Chair of the Board sends a letter detailing what happened at the meeting immediately after, typically within a week."

The Board meets four times a year in October, February, April and June. Trustees use one of those meetings as a retreat, Dampeer said.

The entire Board of Trustees includes 33 members and 3 emeritae members, only 30 of which are attending meetings this week.

The College's Board of Trustees is unique in that it contains a student who has full voting rights as a committee member. This year's trustee is senior Julia Malone.

"Being on the Board of Trustees has been one of the most valuable experiences during my time at Saint Mary's," Malone said. "Having the opportunity to represent the students has been a humbling and gratifying experience that has only strengthened my appreciation for the College."

The position of student trustee is open to rising seniors, and Vice President for Student Affairs Karen Johnson is now accepting applications for next year.