Getting to work

Sunday: the dreaded day when the weekend is drawing to a close and you remember all of the things you have been putting off. After recounting the weekend's festivities you know that the work has to begin. A pile of work lies before you, and you sit down to start, but honestly, you know that something else will once again get in the way.

The list of things that deter you from doing work is endless. Technology was supposed to make our lives easier, but if you ask me, it's only complicated it. Instant messages constantly popping up when you are trying to finish that paper, Facebook walls that need continual checking, a phone call that just has to be made - this list could go on forever.

It seems that the only skill I have truly come to perfect is the art of procrastination. 100 pages to read tonight? I'll get to that just as soon as "Grey's Anatomy" is over. It's not like TV networks have helped the matter either. It seems that there is always some new show coming out. My roommate is obsessed with "American Idol;" I on the other hand am not as big of a fan, but if it's on in the room and I happen to be walking through, I'm done for. I will sadly admit to the fact that I have been known to sit down and watch an episode here and there of "Skating with Celebrities." It's just such great cinematic genius you can't tear your eyes away. I have known people who have been consumed by "Lost." I do believe that a few of them disappeared for a few days and reemerged having successfully finished watching the entire first season. Needless to say, they are not available on Wednesday nights if there is a new episode on.

I have tried to lock myself away from all possible distractions. The second floor of the library seems like as good a place as any to get work done. I've attempted to lock myself away up there in a futile attempt to study. The place is like a black hole. I have spent hours in there trying to cram mountains of information into my head without even realizing that I knew the person sitting two feet away from me. It's one of the few places where if I sit down and say that I am going to work, some of it actually does get done. Unfortunately, it's also a place where I have a tendency to lose track of the world around me. During study days I went to the library in flip-flops only to emerge four hours later and discover that there were about four inches of snow on the ground.

Most of the time, though, I can't bring myself to truck to the library, I spend the majority of my time in front of my computer "doing work." I was recently introduced to a Harry Potter quiz online that has eaten up precious hours of study time. When you get down to it, I spend more time saying that I'm going to do work than actually doing it. I admit to my problem, though I doubt that I'll ever really change my ways, no matter how hard I try.

Come to think of it, I never did finish that paper.