Tuesday, May 14, 2024

ND Swimming: ND tops Louisville on the road

The No. 19 Notre Dame women set four pool records at Louisville's Ralph Natatorium on Saturday en route to a 154-89 road victory over the Cardinals in the team's final meet of the season before the Big East Championships.

Senior Katie Carroll continued her impressive season with pool record times of 2:00.46 and 4:52.35 in the 200-yard butterfly and 500-yard freestyle, respectively. Those two wins increased her team-leading number of individual victories to 17 on the season.

Carroll, along with sophomore Christa Riggins, freshman Megan Farrell and senior Rebecca Grove, was also part of the record-setting 400-yard freestyle relay team that touched the wall in 3:27.48. Sophomore Claire Hutchinson was the final swimmer to etch her name in the record books when she won the 1,000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:17.08.

Saturday's victory over Louisville brought Notre Dame's dual meet record to 8-1 on the season. It is the 15th time in program history that the Irish have accumulated eight or more dual meet victories in a season.

On the men's side, the No. 17 Irish dispatched of Louisville 147-94. Notre Dame won seven of the 13 events to help them obtain their 11th dual meet victory in 14 tries this season.

Leading the way for the Irish were sophomore Jeff Wood and freshman Andrew Hoffman, who each picked individual as well as relay victories. Wood won the 200-yard backstroke, and Hoffman touched the wall first in the 200-freestyle. Both were also members of the victorious 400-yard freestyle squad along with freshman John Lytle and senior Ted Brown.

Freshman Andrew Deters built on recent strong performances by winning the 1,000-yard freestyle with a team season-best time of 9:25.35.

Notre Dame dominated the diving events on the evening, taking three of the top four spots in each the one and three-meter diving. Junior Steven Crowe posted a career best total of 352.28 to win the three-meter diving, and sophomore Michael Bulfin won his ninth event of the season with a total of 333.53 points in the three-meter diving.

Neither men's coach Tim Welsh or women's coach Carrie Nixon could be reached for comment Sunday.