Qlassics, 'Monologues' bring diversity

In Mary Walter's Letter to the Editor ("Dialogue is not dead," Feb. 20) she says that presenting material pertaining to subjects such as that, which is discussed in the Qlassics film festival and "The Vagina Monologues", is not necessary to facilitate discussions. I disagree with this claim.

Qlassics and the "Monologues" are necessary because they present alternative views from a point of view unbiased from the Catholic Church and it is necessary for students to understand these views. To oppose events such as Qlassics or the "Monologues" is to deny the fact that any alternative opinions exist on the subjects that these events attempt to address, which is a naive approach to the world. Yes, we go to a Catholic university, which promotes the teaching of the Church, but when we leave the "bubble" of Notre Dame, we will enter a world that contains and acknowledges many alternative views. The "Monologues" is an opportunity for people to communicate their alternative views. It is an effort to make people aware, especially in an environment like Notre Dame, that there is more than one answer to a question. People who believe in alternative views to the Church's teachings define truth differently.

The "Monologues" are performed because they provide insight into the personal experiences of real women, a point of view that cannot be discussed in an academic forum where no one has experienced first-hand the experiences being debated. We are so quick to form opinions today that we sometimes forget that we do not know everything. How can we debate a topic when we have no understanding of the subject?

When people go and attend the "Monologues," they are not going to be "sitting in a plush theatre," rather they are acknowledging that they may be able to understand alternative view to their own by listening to someone else's opinions. Whether these truths have validity, we must acknowledge their presence within our world, and this is their importance in facilitating the dialogue Walter claims already exists on campus.

College is a time in our lives to define who we are. We form our opinions independent from our parents for the first time and we begin to learn about different points of view. It seems nowadays that people are quick to form a opinion but they have no support to back it up. I challenge Walter and every other student on campus, regardless of your political, religious, or moral views to explore and learn from people who hold opposite opinions to your own because you might find that you could learn something from simply listening instead of always saying how you feel.

Ellen Rolfes

freshman

Pasquerilla East Hall

Feb. 20