Record numbers to flock to ND Career Fair

Many seniors believe they have a chance to squelch pre-graduation jitters today by attending the Winter Career Fair.

Representatives from over 100 employers representing more than 18 industries will flood the Joyce Center from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. intending to recruit Notre Dame students.

Career Center Associate Director Anita Rees said the fair, which she organized, is "one of the largest and most diverse career events in the history of Notre Dame."

The Career Fair will be preceded by a Diversity Reception from noon to 2 p.m. in the Monogram Room of the Joyce Center - an event intended to allow students to introduce themselves to employers.

"The Diversity Reception provides an opportunity to more casually talk to employers and make an initial connection with the employer when they see them at the fair," said Latonia Ferguson, Career Center counselor and organizer of the Diversity Reception.

Rees said students should be prepared for the fair, and she suggests reviewing the list of employers and positions available on the GOIRISH website.

"Pick three to five employers that you want to know a lot about so that when you meet the representative, you'll ask the right questions and make a good impression," she said.

Expecting the unexpected is also part of the fair, Rees said, who suggests students should check out employers that catch their attention.

"If someone has a fascinating display, go talk to [that person]," she said. "Some students talk to employers they never planned and ended up landing a job with that employer."

It's a three-pronged approach: employers you researched, some you know, some you just try out."

Underclassmen should not feel excluded from the fair, which offers them opportunities for internships, Ferguson said.

Landing the perfect job is an "ongoing process that is never too early too start," she said.

"Different companies and where they fall in the market makes a difference when they hire for full-time jobs and internships," Rees said. "It hinges a lot on what size of employer you're trying to land."

And today's record breaking fair might be the start of students' professional success.

"This fair breaks all records amassed over the past 14 years for a career event," Rees said. "Registration was sold out in this fair which has not happened in eight years - three weeks before the event we had to tell employers there was no room."