Two tickets proceed to class council run-off

Since no ticket in the race for Sophomore Class Council won 50 percent plus one votes, the Schmidt-Lakusta-Hwang-Kyrouac and the Mathews-Adsit-McDonald-Rose tickets will proceed to a run-off election Thursday.

The Sophomore Class Council was the only class council to hold an election this year since only one ticket ran in both the junior and senior council races. The Student Senate voted unanimously in each case to suspend elections for these two races last Wednesday.

Elections results for Sophomore Class Council were announced Monday at 9 p.m. on the third floor of LaFortune.

Judicial Council president Liz Kozlow said 1,053 freshmen voted in the election - 50 percent of the class, she said.

Kozlow, who was hoping for at least a 50 percent turnout, said she was pleased with the number of freshmen who voted in the election.

"It was really impressive considering the turnout in other elections," she said.

Schmidt-Lakusta-Hwang-Kyrouac garnered 470 votes (44.6 percent), Mathews-Adsit-McDonald-Rose won 279 votes (26 percent), Vento-Romano-Callinan-Green garnered 180 votes (17 percent) and Landry-Abercrombie-Bodien-Dixon won 61 votes (5.8 percent).

Kozlow said 63 students voted to abstain.

Both Grant Schmidt and Adam Mathews, the presidential candidates for the two run-off tickets, said they were happy with the results and were looking forward to the upcoming run-off election.

"Obviously 44 percent is pretty nice," Schmidt said. "Win or lose - it's been a fun experience. When you find out results like that, it gets you more excited. We're doing this for a reason and we have the experience. Once the results are in, we'd like to get down to work."

Mathews said he and the other candidates on his ticket plan to reach out to the students who abstained from voting or did not participate at all in the next few days.

"I'd like to find out what those students want and what interests them," he said.

Mathews also said he has enjoyed the campaigning experience so far.

"It's just been a good experience to learn the ins and outs and find out what people want," he said.

The run-off election will be held Thursday. Freshmen can vote from 8 a.m. to 8 p. m. through the Judicial Council Web site.