Belles dominate on way to 9-1 mark

The Belles left no question of their dominance over spring break, beating nine teams and dropping only one game in Ft. Myers over five days.On their opening day on Sunday, the team beat Montclair State 3-1 and pummeled Mount Ida 13-4. Sophomore pitcher Kristen Amram gave up only two hits, and sophomore Ashley Fusaro hit a home run on her first pitch in the Belles' triumph over Montclair. Junior captain McKenna Corrigan and Laura Heline also scored a run each in the win.Saint Mary's continued its show of power Monday, posting wins over Curry (21-1) and Nichols (19-0). Sophomore pitcher Calli Davison gave up only two runs, while sophomore Cathy Kurczak went 3-for-3 at the plate. Corrigan, Davison, Fusaro, freshman Ashley Peterson and senior Sarah Miesle all contributed with runs against Curry. In their second game, the Belles ripped through Nichols with the aid of pitcher Kristin Amram throwing a five-inning no-hitter, the second of her career.The Belles followed up the no-no with an 8-4 win over New England College. Davison showed she has power not only from the mound but also from behind the plate, going 3-for-4. Amram pitched in the Belles second game on Tuesday, leading the team over Ohio Wesleyan with 14 strikeouts in a 5-0 win.Saint Mary's dropped its only one game of the week in a 3-2 contest against Illinois College Wednesday. Amram surrendered only three hits but walked six batters, while sophomore Katie Rashid contributed two runs and freshman Maureen Healy went 3-for-4. Saint Mary's will look to build off its loss to Illinois."The Illinois game was a tough loss for us, but a good one," Belles coach Erin Sullivan said. "We were 6-0, and a lot of the teams were gunning for us. We had a few calls go against us, but the team fought back after each negative situation."In their second game of the day, the Belles avenged the loss to Illinois by beating Blackburn College in an 8-4 decision. Davison struck out seven, while Fusaro blasted two homers and Peterson added one of her own.The Belles posted wins over North Park University (6-2) and No. 24 Transylvania (6-1) in their last two games. Davison threw for the win against North Park, finishing the week with a 5-0 record. Kurczak, Rashid and Corrigan all went 2-for-3 with Rashid and Corrigan both added homers. Amram improved her record to 4-1, recording 13 strikeouts against Transylvania.Sullivan is confident a 9-1 start is just the beginning of the dominance the Belles will show this season."They more than met my expectations," she said. "We played our game throughout the entire trip ... which showed how mentally tough we are. After having won those games and dominated some of the teams ... I'm very confident going into our conference season."