Logo conflict embarrassing

As a graduate of Cathedral High School and a current student at Notre Dame, I am both frustrated and saddened by the recent events occurring between both schools regarding Cathedral's use of the Leprechaun as its mascot. When Cathedral was founded in 1918 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, the same order as the founding priests of Notre Dame, the school took the nickname of the Fighting Irish. It is interesting to note what Notre Dame's football team was called before Cathedral opened in 1918. Notre Dame was the "Ramblers" and Rockne changed the nickname after hearing about the Indiana high school's nickname through the brothers at Holy Cross who ran both institutions at the time. There were strong connections between the two schools, both Irish Catholic, and Cathedral was seen as a sort of stepping stone to Notre Dame.It seems that many do not realize that Cathedral actually designed the Leprechaun logo. When Cathedral developed this logo, Notre Dame liked it and asked to use it, then proceeded to go ahead and trademark the logo. Furthermore, it is not as if Cathedral is stealing from the Notre Dame market by using the Leprechaun. The revenue Cathedral generates by the use of this logo is miniscule to the amount of money Notre Dame is able to generate. Does Notre Dame truly feel threatened by a high school? And honestly, if Notre Dame is banning Cathedral from using the Leprechaun due to revenue issues, then the University has its priorities way out of line.I am sure that many of my current classmates at Notre Dame are saying "Get over it and stop worrying about a high school mascot." But I say to them, if you have not been part of the Cathedral tradition, then you just won't understand, just as someone who has not been part of the Notre Dame tradition will not understand the strong love for our university. However, I am ashamed to say I am part of a school that turns their back on family.

Charles CossellfreshmanAlumni HallMar. 23