Men's Lacrosse: Irish lose to Cornell for third straight year

Notre Dame will have to wait another year to defeat Cornell.

After falling to the Big Red by one and three goals, respectively, in the last two years, the Irish fell to Cornell 13-8 Saturday in Hewlett, N.Y.

Cornell (3-0) had the Irish down 12-3 in the third quarter on two 5-goal streaks. The last quarter and a half featured a Notre Dame (2-1) streak of five goals to the Big Red's one, but it was too little, too late.

"We came out flat and got outplayed in all aspects," Irish junior goaltender Joey Kemp said. "They generated a lot of offense from their midfield, and we didn't do so as much."

Attacks David Mitchell and Brian Clayton led the Big Red with four points apiece, while fellow attacks Eric Pittard and John Glynn added two goals and one assist. Midfielders Henry Bartlett and Chris Finn each netted two more goals in the win.

The Irish were led by freshman attacker Will Yeatman, who scored two goals and added an assist. Senior attacker Brian Hubschmann once again tallied two goals of his own in the defeat. Junior midfielder Michael Podgajny contributed one goal and an assist, while sophomore attacker Ryan Hoff, senior midfielder Lucius Polk and sophomore attacker Peter Christman all aided with a goal each.

"This shows us a lot about what we need to improve," Polk said. "The loss is bad, but we now know how to get better."

Notre Dame continues its five-game road trip with a visit to Chapel Hill to play No. 10 North Carolina (3-1) on March 10.

Notes:

uKemp played the whole match this time, and he made 13 stops on the day. His counterpart, Cornell's Matt McMonagle, had an impressive 15 saves in the game while letting up only 8 goals.

uCornell held a 48-34 advantage in shots.