Monday, May 13, 2024

ND Softball: Bargar ends game with home run

Brittany Bargar certainly picked the right time to get her first career hit.

The sophomore hurler hit the game winning home run in the bottom of the seventh in Notre Dame's 4-1 victory over Toledo Thursday.

Bargar also picked up the win on the mound, allowing just three hits and tallying seven strikeouts.

The Irish were behind 1-0 headed into the final frame when an RBI single by sophomore Erin Glasco scored junior Katie Laing to tie the score at one. Sophomore Beth Northway then picked up a pinch-hit single off Toledo reliever Hannah Rockland before Bargar's home run.

The victory marked Notre Dame's sixth straight headed into a set of doubleheaders beginning Saturday against Pittsburgh at Ivy Field. Sunday, Syracuse will make its way to South Bend for another two games.

The Irish are currently undefeated in Big East play. After a sluggish start with the bats earlier on in the month, Notre Dame has turned it on, and as a result, the victories are pouring in.

Pittsburgh is currently in fourth place in the Big East with a 2-1 conference record, tallying a 14-19 mark overall. Syracuse is right below the Irish in the Big East standings at third with a 3-1 record. Overall, Syracuse's record is suffering due to a 10-20 mark.

The Irish pitching has been impeccable during the team's impressive streak. Bargar has led the way with a 10-7 record, posting a stifling 2.23 ERA along with 14 complete games and 116 strikeouts.

Senior Kenya Fuemmeler will also need to be on her game to find success this weekend - and so far this season, she has. The Irish pitcher has a 5-5 record with a solid 2.90 ERA and 49 strikeouts.

While its pitchers have enjoyed excellent production during the streak, Notre Dame's bats have also delivered. Senior Stephanie Brown has accumulated a .408 batting average, giving the Irish many chances to score by getting on base.

The RBI production has come mainly from freshman Heather Jackson, who has taken advantage of her opportunities with 18 RBIs. Sophomore Linda Kohan and Laing have put in 13 and 11 runs, respectively.

If the Irish keep winning this weekend, they will continue to dominate Big East play. This will only help headed into the championships later on in May with the higher goal of the College World Series waiting after that.