Monday, May 13, 2024

Week of Action events raise Iraq war awareness

This week marks the four year anniversary of the invasion of Iraq. As part of the Progressive Student Alliance's annual Week of Action, two events will be taking place on campus to remember the continuing affects of the war in Iraq.

To remember the human cost of the war in Iraq, an exhibit entitled "Eyes Wide Open" will be in front of O'Shaughnessy Hall on South Quad. The exhibit provides a profound visual representation of the suffering caused by this war.

The second event for today sponsored by the Progressive Student Alliance is "The Ground Truth: A Marine's View on Ending the War in Iraq." Former Sergeant Liam Madden of the U.S. Marine Corps will be speaking in room 102 of DeBartolo at 7p.m. He will discuss his experience in Iraq and his current work as a member of Iraq Veterans Against the War. I again encourage you to please come to this event with questions for someone who has personally experienced the war.

Since the invasion began, over 3,200 American service men and women have been killed and over 17,000 American soldiers have been wounded. A study done by the John Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, using the technique employed to estimate HIV/AIDS in Africa, found that the war in Iraq has killed about 655,000 Iraqis. After four long years of continued violence, we have learned the hard way that freedom does not come through occupation, justice does not follow an unjust war and peace does not come through the barrel of a gun.

When we discuss the war in Iraq, it is imperative that we address the human face of the war. Whether it is the people of Iraq, the American soldiers still serving, the veterans who come back physically and emotionally affected or the veterans who have begun to speak out against the violence - this war is about people. I encourage you to please come by the "Eyes Wide Open" exhibit and "The Ground Truth" discussion.

Michael Angulo

sophomore

Alumni Hall

Mar. 19