Executives approve two more co-sponsorships

Stirone, Mandi | Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Saint Mary’s Board of Governance (BOG) members approved two co-sponsorships at their final meeting of the semester Tuesday night. One will help fund an etiquette dinner for the student body, and the other will go to support The Show 2007.

The first co-sponsorship will help fund a dinner hosted by the College’s Young Executive’s Club (YEC) that will educate those who attend on dining etiquette and encourage communication between students and College administration.

The dinner will be a five-course meal with College President Carol Ann Mooney, if her schedule permits, YEC CEO Erica Rath said.

“I think events and building relationships [are] a huge part of what the Saint Mary’s community is,” Rath said.

The Board motioned to give the club $1,200 after stipulating that the proposed attire of the event be changed from cocktail dresses to business casual.

The second co-sponsorship will help fund The Show 2007 – a tri-campus event that looks to bring thousands of students together to experience a “wonderful music event,” according to the co-sponsorship application.

Notre Dame junior Steve Tortorello presented the $10,000 co-sponsorship proposal to the board. The estimated total cost of The Show for 2007 is $145,000.

“Last year The Show was the biggest it has ever been,” Tortorello said. “It was huge. The Show went really well, quality-wise and attendance-wise.”

Following Tortorello’s proposal, board members discussed BOG’s past financial involvement with The Show.

The board placed stipulations on BOG funding of the event. The conditions included having The Show advertise for Saint Mary’s orientation weekend event “Jamaica Shaka,” having a Saint Mary’s student on the planning committee and selling tickets in the Saint Mary’s student center.

Student body executive treasurer Courtney Kennedy was not sure how much money is left in the co-sponsorship account, but the board voted to award The Show the remainder of the budget – up to $8,000 with the stipulations.

In other BOG news:

u SMC Tostal will take place Thursday with events going on throughout the day. The day will culminate in a fireworks display over the Angela Athletic Center at dusk and a screening of the movie “Dreamgirls” on Library Green.