-

-

Flogging Molly to perform

John-Paul Witt | Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Due to the financial success of last semester’s Ben Folds concert, the Student Union Board (SUB) will bring Irish rock band Flogging Molly to Legends for a free concert Thursday, SUB manager Patrick Vassel said.

“There was about $25,000 in revenue for SUB after the Ben Folds concert, and we decided to put on an end of year concert that’s as exciting as possible,” Vassel said.

The Ben Folds concert – which sold out – was held in Stepan Center. SUB decided to host Flogging Molly as a free concert in Legends because the cost of renting Stepan Center would have forced a concert either “with high ticket prices or free, but with a [less famous] band,” Vassel said.

SUB has not always been able to bring well-known bands like Ben Folds or Flogging Molly to campus. Last year, several SUB-produced concerts did not sell out, and this factored into the decision to forgo the expenses of renting Stepan Center for Flogging Molly, Vassel said.

“Last year, we had two solid shows in Stepan [Center] – but neither crowds filled to capacity,” Vassel said, “Our goal this year was, however we do [the concerts], to make them as big and exciting as possible.”

Flogging Molly has been in contact with SUB “for a few years” regarding a show at Notre Dame, Vassel said. SUB was unable to synch budgets and schedules with the band until now.

Financially, SUB decided to “zero out” its accounts by putting on a show with no ticket sales, Vassel said, in part because of student government’s newly formed endowment and the carry-forward account.

Extra money left in the SUB budget is placed in either the carry-forward account for use during the next year or – after that account reaches $100,000 – in the student government endowment.

“In the next couple years, the interest from the endowment should add about $20-30,000 a year,” Vassel said. “That will support student organizations on campus. Once that endowment gets over a million dollars, it will significantly start returning money that will help the Student Union.”

With the expanded budget, Vassel forecasted more programming options for student government, especially in terms of “major programming”, such as concerts with big-name performers.

“When you have a consistent source of funding from an endowment like that – that’ll be a difference maker,” Vassel said. “[Student government] can use this endowment to ensure that financial concerns won’t be a liability.”

Vassel is part of a team presenting information about the endowment to the University Board of Trustees later this semester. The report will contain details of the present and future plans for the endowment.

“This is interesting because five years ago, the student body president basically asked the Board for a million dollars for an endowment but was told it wasn’t feasible,” Vassel said. “But now we can go to the Board and say, ‘We found the money on our own’.”

For the Flogging Molly concert Thursday, Legends has attempted to expand the amount of people that can watch the concert in the 680-person venue by simulcasting the show on large-screen TVs in the field behind Legends, so a total of 1,200 people will be able to watch the concert, Legends general manager Rich Jacobs said.

Jacobs advised students to arrive early for the concert, but said the club will not permit students to start standing in line while classes are in session.

Attendance at the Flogging Molly concert is limited to students with a Notre Dame, Saint Mary’s or Holy Cross College ID, and students are allowed two guests each, Jacobs said. The concert starts at 10 p.m.