More than just a game

This weekend marks the 78th annual Blue-Gold Game weekend. An outstanding tradition that has grown from an alumni versus varsity team game into a highly publicized spring scrimmage, the 2007 Blue-Gold Game will surely not disappoint. But for many, this weekend entails so much more than a mere football scrimmage. So when you prepare to cheer on the Irish be sure to take note of other happenings on the field as well as throughout campus. I've supplied you with a list of my top 10 favorites to help you out.

10. The Return of Tailgating. For most of us, it's been almost five months since our last tailgating experience. I don't know about you, but I can hardly wait to break out the grill and bags set this weekend. The Joyce Center lot will once again be overwhelmed with Irish fans eating hotdogs and shotgunning beers. Similar to the Blue-Gold Game itself, this Saturday's tailgating gives us non-football players a chance to practice for next fall's tailgating season.

9. The Shirt Unveiling. The dress code for the 2007 football season will be introduced this Friday. With the success of the "Tradition" shirt last year, will navy once again be next fall's t-shirt color, or will The Shirt Committee opt for a different color to add to our ever-increasing Irish wardrobe?

8. The Fans. What other college football team can brag about tens of thousands of fans coming to watch a spring practice? Alumni, parents, family and friends will come from all corners of the country to watch their favorite team and take part in one of Notre Dame's greatest traditions.

7. The Team. The Blue-Gold game allows for a unique opportunity for the entire football team to display their talents. Everyone from the SportsCenter-gracing all stars to the hardworking walk-ons will have a chance to strut their stuff in The Stadium.

6. PigTostal. The biggest party of the year ... and the closest thing to Greek Life a Notre Dame student will ever see. Complete with 80 kegs, two pigs and one naked freshman swimmer, PigTostal is a spring tailgating tradition that is sure to please.

5. The Four-Man Quarterback Race. With rumors rumbling about who will replace Brady Quinn, be the first to see who will take the field dressed in red.

4. Bookstore Basketball. With the championship game only a week away, the largest outdoor five-on-five basketball tournament will be in full effect this weekend with teams fighting for the top spot. Will it be "I Can't Believe We're So Butter" and "Four Gentiles and a Jew" in the championship game? The answer is only a few games away.

3. The New Leprechaun. After highly anticipated, public try-outs, The Leprechaun for the upcoming athletic year will be out on the field cheering on the Irish. Complete with red hair and a green suit, Matt Phipps will undoubtedly carry on the esteemed Leprechaun tradition with great success.

2. Ara and Lou. College football coaching legends Ara Parseghian and Lou Holtz will be on the sidelines this Saturday alongside Charlie Weis coaching the Blue and Gold - a dream come true for diehard Irish fans.

1. The Game. While many students will choose to chow down on pork rather than watch a scrimmage, the Blue-Gold game should not be missed. As a dress rehearsal for the upcoming football season, the Blue-Gold game gives spectators a chance to watch their favorite players as they give us a sneak peak of what's in store for next fall. And if you are anything like me, you are suffering from football withdrawal and cannot wait to get back in the stadium. So put on your new Shirt, tailgate with family and friends and be sure to support your two favorite teams as they battle it out in the Stadium this Saturday.

Katie Palmitier is a sophomore political science major. She can be contacted at kpalmiti@nd.edu