Police bust underage drinkers

Police cited more than 40 people for a range of drinking violations early Sunday morning at 1016 South Bend Avenue. Earlier Saturday afternoon, approximately 15 minors were also cited for underage drinking in the parking lots used for the Blue-Gold Game.

Sgt. Tim Cleveland of the Indiana Excise Police said police gave citations to 38 minors and five adults at the off-campus location.

He did not specify how many Notre Dame or Saint Mary's students were involved.

Cleveland said at least one of the five adults were custodially arrested for public intoxication, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Because he did not have all the reports from Sunday, he could not confirm that only one person was arrested at the site.

Cleveland said police issued citations on a total of 51 charges. The five adults faced charges that included furnishing alcohol to a minor, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, inducing minors to possess alcohol and maintaining a common nuisance.

The citations at the Blue-Gold Game and at the South Bend Avenue property were just two incidents in a 24-hour span in which excise police cited approximately 70 people in South Bend and at Notre Dame.

"With the weather getting nice and [being] close to the end of school, we start seeing more and more of these types of things," Cleveland said.

Excise police also issued approximately 15 citations for underage drinking at two separate residences south of campus - one on St. Peter Street and one on Washington Street - in South Bend Saturday night.