SMC Golf: Tri-State tourney cancelled

The Belles have another week to fine-tune their game after cold weather and wind forced the Tri-State Invitational, scheduled for this weekend, to be cancelled Wednesday.Tri-State, located in Angola, Ind., is experiencing much the same weather that South Bend started to see Wednesday morning. The tournament, which was to feature teams from around the region and is hosted by Tri-State every year, will be combined with the NCAA qualifying tournament April 12."Next week was to be our MIAA tournament - our NCAA qualifying tournament," Belles coach Mark Hamilton said. "We'll have teams from around the region in our [league] tournament, so it will be a tournament within a tournament."Hamilton said the week off won't benefit the Belles, but the widespread nature of the weather conditions ensures that Saint Mary's opponents will not be getting a leg up."All the teams that we're going to be playing against as far as we're concerned for the NCAA aren't going to be playing either," Hamilton said. "We'll all be on equal ground."Because of the weather, the Belles have been indoors working on chipping and putting. Hamilton said he will encourage his team to practice as often as possible over Easter break.