SMC Tennis: Belles sweep Tri-State in singles play for win

Saint Mary's was able to maintain their second place standing in the MIAA after they defeated Tri-State 8-1 Wednesday on the road.The Belles (9-11, 5-2 MIAA) are currently tied for second place with Hope, behind Kalamazoo who is ranked twelfth in the region.The Belles dominated in singles play, shutting out the Thunder in straight sets in every match. In the first singles spot, McDavitt beat Thunder senior Holly Kimball 6-2, 6-1. Standout Belles freshman Camille Gebert had similar luck when she dominated Thunder junior Amanda Steiner in two straight sets 6-2. At No. 3 singles, Belles freshman Lisa Rubino defeated Thunder sophomore Amanda Waidely 6-2, 6-1. Belles coach Dee Stevenson was proud of how his team battled through less than favorable conditions. "It was very cold, and that did not make the best for playing conditions," he said. "But some how or another we managed to pull through and get the win." Belles senior Tara O'Brien beat Thunder senior Stephanie Waidely 6-1, 6-4 to garner the victory at the No. 4 singles position. In the fifth singles spot, Belles junior Cassie Quaglia won the first set against Thunder sophomore Amber Crosby with ease 6-4, but the second set had to be pushed to a tiebreaker, where she eventually won 7-6 (7-5.) In the final singles match of the day, senior Grace Gordon dominated, first shutting out freshman Kathleen Klein 6-0, and then only allowing her one point before winning the second set 6-1. In doubles play, the number-one Belles duo of McDavitt and Gebert battled to a narrow defeat of the Thunder's Kimball and Amanda Waidely 8-6. The Belles only loss of the day came at the second doubles spot where Belles freshman Caitlin O'Brien and Gordon were defeated 8-3 by Thunder players Crosby and Stephanie Waidely. In the final doubles match of the day, the freshman duo of Rubino and Kaplan defeated Steiner and Klein 8-3. Saint Mary's will round out its long week of travel today when it heads to Bethel College to face the Pilots. Though it is a non-conference match, the Belles will hope to defeat the Pilots and better their skills in order to get ready for their next conference match against Albion Saturday. The last time the Belles faced the Pilots was last season, when Bethel narrowly defeated Saint Mary's 5-4. The match will begin tomorrow at 4 p.m. in Mishawaka.