-

-

SMC Tennis: Wheaton, Olivet upend Belles over weekend

Ellyn Michalak | Monday, April 2, 2007

The competition in this weekend’s Wheaton Invitational proved to be too tough for Saint Mary’s. The Belles fell twice, once to tournament-host Wheaton College and then again to Olivet Nazarene to finish 0-2 on their trip into Illinois.

Wheaton easily defeated the Belles 9-0 in their first match to add another win to its perfect record.

“Wheaton College is definitely one of the top teams, if not the top team, in the Midwest,” Belles coach Dee Stevenson said.

In the first individual match of the Invitational opener Friday, Wheaton sophomore All-American Jordan Hook defeated Belles captain Kelly McDavitt in straight sets, 6-1 and 6-0. Belles freshman Camille Gebert did not have much luck in the No. 2 singles spot, where she was defeated 7-5 and 6-0 by freshman Christin Thompson.

In the third match of the day, Thunder senior Karly Olson defeated Belles freshman Lisa Rubino 6-2 and 6-3. In the following match, senior Tara O’Brien failed to win a game against Thunder junior Shannon Hale, falling in straight 6-0 sets.

In the fifth singles spot, Saint Mary’s junior Cassie Quaglia competed against Wheaton junior Brooke Parrish and lost 6-2 and 6-0. In the final singles matchup of the day, Thunder sophomore Brittney Dunn overcame Belles senior Grace Gordon with a score of 6-0 in two straight sets.

The Belles put forth a stronger effort in the doubles matches, but Wheaton continued to shut down Saint Mary’s. The Thunder doubles team of Hook and Olson defeated the Belles No. 1 doubles team of Gebert and McDavitt 8-1. In the second doubles match, Belles doubles partners Gordon and O’Brien fell to Dunn and Thompson by a score of 8-1. In the final doubles match of the day, Wheaton’s Parrish and Hale defeated Saint Mary’s Rubino and O’Brien 8-2.

The Belles entered Saturday’s match looking to defeat Olivet Nazarene for the second straight year, but Olivet Nazarene produced a different result. Saint Mary’s lost the match 8-1, while Gordon in the number six singles spot was the only Belle to win.

“We didn’t play particularly well in that match,” Stevenson said. “Certainly not up to our full potential.”

McDavitt put forth a strong effort in the No. 1 singles spot, but lost the match in three close sets. Rubino played well in the third spot, battling until the super tiebreaker of the third set.