Team stays perfect in MIAA

Saint Mary's added a third win to its already perfect conference record Tuesday by defeating MIAA foe Adrian College 8-1.The Belles (7-6) dominated, winning every singles match in straight sets and prevailing in the first two doubles matches. "The competition was not very strong," Coach Dee Stevenson said in regards to the Adrian squad. In the first match of the game, senior captain Kelly McDavitt controlled the pace, defeating Adrian junior Lindsey Eshelman 6-1 and 6-2. At No. 2, Belles standout freshman Camille Gebert shut out sophomore Sandy Towler 6-0 in the first set and polished off the win with a score of 6-2 in the second set. In the third match of the day, freshman Lisa Rubino set the pace, defeating Adrian freshman Kristina Baker 6-1, 6-1. Belles freshman Caitlin O'Brien defeated Bulldogs senior Karen Kruisenga in straight sets, 6-3 and 6-0, in the fourth match. Competing in the fifth singles spot, junior Cassie Quaglia prevailed, beating Adrian sophomore Leann Brooks 6-1, 6-1. In the final singles competition of the day, senior Grace Gordon dominated the match and defeated sophomore Ellen Kroll 6-1, 6-2. In doubles competition, the powerhouse duo of Gebert and McDavitt crushed Eshelman and Kruisenga 8-3 in the first spot. While senior Tara O'Brien and Gordon defeated Baker and Brooks 8-2 in the second doubles spot, Belles players Rubino and Caitlin O'Brien fell 8-6 to Kroll and Towler in a tight match. The team will go on to compete next at the Midwest Invitational Friday and Saturday. The Belles will play first against Wisconsin-Lacrosse, a team that the Belles lost to earlier this season. "We have improved since the beginning of the year," Stevenson said. "I think we have a chance at beating them. It will be a tough match, but we definitely have a chance at winning."