ND Softball: Ramblers can't touch Bargar

Notre Dame snapped a seven-game losing streak Tuesday with a big win over Loyola Chicago.

Sophomore Brittney Bargar picked up her second no-hitter of the season while blanking the Ramblers 5-0.

Bargar struck out 10 and was only a hit batter in the first inning away from throwing the first perfect game of her career. She received all the run support she would need before she even took the mound.

Senior centerfielder Stephanie Brown led off the game by reaching safely on a bunt to the pitcher. Two batters later, shortstop Katie Laing knocked her second home run of the year over the left field wall, giving the Irish a 2-0 lead.

In the following half inning, Ramblers junior Kat Krause reached first after being plunked by Bargar and stole second shortly afterwards. However, that was the furthest any Loyola runner would get all game.

The scoring came to a halt after Laing's blast as Bargar and Loyola pitcher Amy Solova retired 22 consecutive batters. Solova threw more than five innings, giving up two hits and only one earned run.

The run came in the sixth inning when freshman Ashley Ellis scored for the first time in her collegiate career, driven in by a Linda Kohan double in the sixth. The Irish tacked on two more insurance runs in the seventh when Christine Lux doubled. Laing and Brown scored on the play, the second run of the game for both.

Notre Dame will finish out its regular season this week as it takes on Rutgers and Villanova on the road in a pair of conference doubleheaders. The Scarlet Knights are currently in ninth place in the 12-team Big East conference with a 7-11 record. Villanova is in the cellar at 5-13. Notre Dame will need to win all four games for a chance at catching Louisville at the No. 3 spot before the Big East tournament.

The Irish will be close to home as they attempt to defend last year's championship. The tournament begins May 10 and will be held in South Bend for the second consecutive year. Notre Dame upset top-seeded Louisville in a 1-0 pitcher's duel to claim the 2006 title.

No members of the team were available for comment following Tuesday's game due to travel.