Monday, March 18, 2024

Belles look to continue winning ways against Alma

After its first MIAA victory, a convincing 3-0 (30-17, 30-19 30-27) win over Olivet Tuesday, Saint Mary's looks to keep rolling at home tonight against Alma. The triumph over Olivet moved the Belles to 1-2 in conference play and 4-6 overall. Alma lost to Kalamazoo in five games Tuesday, dropping to 0-2 in the MIAA and 4-6 overall. Saint Mary's hopes to use solid communication and preparation to its advantage against the Scots."We need to really work on our court chatter and need a lot more talk out there," Belles coach Julie Schroeder-Biek said. "Alma is a team that looks a lot more like us - a pretty balanced attacking and blocking [team]. We will need to lift our game and pick up our intensity. I am very excited for this next challenge."  Freshman middle blocker Andrea Sasgen provided some of that much-needed intensity against Olivet, hitting the winning point to seal the Comets' fate.Sasgen also had three service aces in the Belles' win over Geneva College Saturday.Sasgen said the Belles will try to feed off of the crowd's energy tonight."I love playing in an environment where you recognize the people on the bleachers, working the score, book, line judging, and seeing the familiar faces of our supportive SMC volleyball fans," Sasgen said.Sasgen also praised her veteran teammates, who have constantly provided leadership for the younger players, she said."The upperclassmen always play with heart and intensity, and are always challenging each other to be a better player," Sasgen said. "Like the saying goes, you only get as much out of something as you put into it, and that is a common understanding between all of us. We will all continue to challenge each other during practice as well as off the court."That is the SMC volleyball experience."Saint Mary's has now won two straight, a couple of small steps toward meeting its expectations."We will keep fighting to play at our level of play every single game," Sasgen said, "and do everything as a team to reach the goals we have set ourselves early on this season."The Belles will host Alma at 7 tonight at the Angela Athletic Facility.