-

-

Council focuses on 3 issues

Justin Tardiff | Tuesday, September 4, 2007

At the opening meeting of the Campus Life Council, members established three task forces to address issues of community relations, student development and the campus environment.

Discussions of the Community Relations Task Force included references to such off-campus issues as the proposed South Bend party permit ordinance and the Aug. 21 shootings outside the popular Club 23.

Council members expressed a need for the task force to address student safety on and off campus and promote healthier community relations between the student body and the City of South Bend. Atop a list of proposals was the formation of a committee to work with city officials for the establishment of better relations between Notre Dame and the surrounding community.

Meanwhile, the Student Development Task Force will address student gambling, among other issues. Student Body President Liz Brown stressed the need for the CLC to be “proactive” about the issue. Student Body Vice President Maris Braun addressed student cheating as an issue for discussion by the task force. Another proposal dealing with Student Development involved freshman orientation. Several members said the current freshman orientation program is in need of reform, particularly in the scheduling of events and conduct of students during the weekend.

Several Council members also voiced their concern for the campus to become more environmentally friendly. Council discussions centered on tackling energy problems by collecting research on energy use in residence halls while also promoting new energy efficient campaigns.

A proposal was also put forward to request the University architect inform students about the future look of campus. With the construction of a new law school and residence hall, the Council agreed students should have the opportunity to better see how campus will look in the near future.