Fund may see raise in allocation

John Tierney | Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Council of Representatives (COR) discussed raising the amount of money allocated to the Rector Fund at its meeting Tuesday. The Rector Fund is used to cover expenses for hall events, football tickets, JPW event tickets, performance tickets and service trip registrations for students who are financially unable to meet these costs, Vice President for Student Affairs Father Mark Poorman said in a letter to student body president Liz Brown.Eligibility for the fund is determined by the Office of Financial Aid, but it is administered to students through their rector. Since its inception in the 2001-02 school year, the amount of money used by the Rector Fund each year has increased from $10,454 to $60,663 last year. More than $53,376 has already been allocated to 230 students so far this school year.Currently, the Rector Fund receives $35,000 per year from the first $100,000 The Shirt Charity Fund collects. This year, the Rector Fund has already spent more than the $35,000 it received from The Shirt Charity Fund. Additional funding has come from the money that was not spent during the fund’s initial four years of operation. To sustain the fund’s viability, Poorman proposed increasing the $35,000 annual allotment to $60,000, beginning in October. Most COR members agreed with Poorman’s proposal, which would mean the Shirt Charity Fund – which helps students pay for medical bills – would receive $25,000 less every year. This tradeoff, however, seemed fair and reasonable to most COR members.”A demonstrated tangible need should take precedence over an unexpected or improbable medical expense,” senator George Chamberlin said. “It’s not completely the school’s responsibility to take care of medical bills.”But the Council noted the final decision to change the Shirt Charity Fund’s allotments is beyond their control as the fund’s needs vary each year, depending on the specific medical conditions that students encounter.”You never can be at a safe amount of the Shirt Charity Fund,” Student Union Board treasurer Kadeja Gaines said.