Joys of life off campus

Kate Fenlon | Thursday, September 13, 2007

From the moment I signed the lease, I had been counting down the days until I was free from dorm rules and in the land of off campus housing.

Castle Point, my apartment of choice, has served as a safe haven for a fun and exciting senior year of college.

Don’t get me wrong, the dorms were great freshmen and sophomore year while getting to know people and making new friends.

However, come junior year I was ready for a bit more freedom.

I wanted to enjoy such frills as playing music and even vacuuming after 10 p.m. when quiet hours were strictly enforced.

Further, the thought of living in one room with four people, four alarm clocks and four different schedules no longer appealed to me.

Thus, the freedoms of an apartment coupled with a living room, kitchen, and separate bedrooms sounded like the ideal situation.

Even from a logistical standpoint, Castle Point is simpler.

Moving in was a breeze. No more battling hundreds of freshmen families for the elevator or climbing what felt like thousands of steps to the top floor to move in, no sir.

Instead, I climbed a measly 10 stairs and was at my apartment.

Arguably, the most advantageous aspect of the off campus lifestyle is the lavish closet space topped off by my own bathroom.

Additionally, living off campus has served to teach us valuable domestic skills, as we are now forced to do our own cooking, cleaning, ironing and most importantly, we must pay our own bills.

These realities prepare us for life after school when classes are replaced with a 9 to 5 job.

Now for the good stuff. While living off campus provides many valuable life lessons, it has its “college” moments as well.

When my alarm sounds at 8 a.m. I no longer feel the pressure to get out of bed and join the mass of girls walking from their dorms to classroom buildings.

Yes, your parents’ concerns are legitimate; it is considerably easier to say “no” to class when living off campus.

Instead of going to class I wake up and freely use my TOASTER to toast something for breakfast, just because I can.

Why not mix a little margarita with my entirely legal blender while I’m at it?

If, by chance, a friend of the opposite sex is over past midnight on a weeknight, he does not have to sneak into a closet or jump out of a window at the sound of a nearby RA.

Yes, off campus housing offers a variety of the simple joys in life.