North Dining Hall turns the music on

While South Dining Hall has long had music playing in the serving area, North Dining Hall just started playing music quietly on the north side of the dining room as well as in the serving area where students fill their trays.

North Dining Hall Operations Manager Dan Patterson said the dining hall has had a sound system for years, but he just recently decided to turn the radio back on to see how students like the music.

"A little music adds to the ambiance of the dining room," Patterson said. "Sort of like in a restaurant, where music is also common."

Patterson began the trial run by turning on WAOR 95.3, a local hard rock station.

"I had some complaints that it was too much early in the morning," Patterson said.

So he later switched to Sunny 101.5, a local station that plays a variety of more relaxed songs, from oldies to pop to country.

The music is only audible in the north side of the dining hall, Patterson said, and is turned off completely in Dining Room A, a room isolated from the bustle of the main dining room.

Patterson hoped to eventually switch to XM radio, which is used in South Dining Hall. He said the student response to the new music has been positive.

Sophomore Meghan Magargee said she likes the music and said it makes going to the dining hall more fun.

Other students preferred the rock they heard in the first week of school.

"I thought it was good when they played WAOR," sophomore Dominic Go said. "I guess I haven't paid attention to it recently."

The music is quiet enough that many students do not notice it at all. Sophomore Meghan Shaughnessy said she does not mind the music.

"Well, I don't really have anything against it, but I think the music kind of gets lost in the noise," Shaughnessy said. "I guess I just don't really notice it that much."