SMC Golf: Close to lead, Belles prepare for round two

After a second-place finish in Kalamazoo, Mich., over the weekend, Saint Mary's hopes to continue its strong play today in Angola, Ind.

Tri-State University hosts the second leg of the MIAA Jamboree, which began at Kalamazoo on Saturday.

Today's round, at the Zollner golf course in Angola, begins at 1 p.m. The Belles are currently second only to Olivet out of nine MIAA squads in the Jamboree.

With a score of 345, they scored only 10 points higher than the first-place Comets. In third place, Tri-State trails only two strokes behind Saint Mary's.

After that, 18 strokes separate the Belles and sixth-place Albion, with Hope and Alma in fourth and fifth, respectively.

The competition will be close today again, and Saint Mary's coach Mark Hamilton is determined to win. He has high expectations for his team, for both this tournament and the season as a whole.

"Although we are a young team, there is no reason to think that we can't be among the top teams in the league," Hamilton said. "There is a lot of talent on this team to not only to be successful in the MIAA but also the nation."

In the first round, senior captain Katie O'Brien took first place overall by five strokes.

Hamilton is confident that she will continue this performance.

"Katie has the experience and skill necessary to help us get back to the top," he said. "She knows what it takes to win at this level, and she will prove to be a valuable asset for this team in a variety of ways."

The third and final round of the MIAA Jamboree will be held Sept. 25 in Alma, Mich.