SMC offers free physical education classes

All Saint Mary's students will now be able to take physical education classes free of charge.

In past years, students who were not taking the classes for academic credit would be required to pay a $50 fee at the beginning of each semester to participate.

The reason for the policy change is simply to encourage more students to take any of the six classes offered at the Angela Athletic Facility.

"I just felt that some of our students were having a hard time finding an extra $50 per semester and I did not want the fee to be in the way of anyone taking our fantastic education classes," said Lynn Kachmarik, director of athletics at Saint Mary's.

Kachmarik said there has been a noticable influx in participation under the new policy.

"It is nice to see the women of Saint Mary's more physically and mentally healthy," she said.

Freshman Caitlin McGuire, who is taking the yoga class, likes the flexibility with the classes.

"I've only gone to one class so far, but because I'm not taking it for credit, I can go anytime I want and I like that," she said. "I've also tried Pilates. I'd definitely recommend trying some of these classes."

For some students, the appeal of the classes is not only fitness but also affordability.

"I like that the classes are free because at home, I had to pay $5 for each class," freshman Claire Phalange said.

Classes are available on a first come, first serve basis, giving preference to those taking class for credit, followed by other students and faculty. They are offered Monday through Thursday and include spinning, personal fitness instruction, Pilates, yoga, yogalates and a "cardio combo" class. Each class is 50 minutes long.

There is no pre-registry required, unless students are taking the class for credit.

"Students are encouraged to dedicate themselves to a certain class weekly, so they can receive the best results from the workout," Kachmarik said.

Kachmarik hopes to attract a wide variety of students by offering several different types of classes.

"All of the classes are free, so it depends on what you like. There is something for everyone," she said.