SMC Volleyball: Belles rally to beat K'zoo

Facing a 2-1 deficit against Kalamazoo Friday, Saint Mary's battled back with a hard-fought fourth game win featuring three ties and lead changes.

Saint Mary's took the fifth game easily to defeat the Hornets 3-2.

The Belles split the first two games of the match 28-30 and 30-22.  In game three, the Hornets were in control of the match, stinging the Belles with a 20-30 win.

The Belles (6-7, 3-3 MIAA) would not give up in the fourth game, which they won, 30-26.

A kill by freshman outside hitter Jacee Watson gave the Belles their first lead in the fifth game at 3-2, and they didn't trail the rest of the way as they knocked off Kalamazoo.

The win is the Belles' fifth consecutive victory over the Hornets.

The Belles were determined to win, coming off a painful loss Wednesday to last-place Albion.

"Our experience at Albion was very fresh in our minds, and we did not want a repeat of that night," Belles coach Julie Schroeder-Biek said. "A win is worth the fight."

Saint Mary's had four different players post a double-double in the win over the Hornets. Sophomore outside hitter Lorna Slupczynski had a match-high 22 kills and 11 digs. Junior middle blocker Kaela Hellman posted a team-best 25 digs in addition to her 11 kills.

Freshman middle blocker Andrea Sasgen posted 12 kills and 15 digs to follow in the effort.  

Senior setter Amanda David was the leader of the offense with 64 assists and contributed to the defense with 12 digs. This was the second game in a row that the Belles had four players with double-doubles.

"It is so nice to have such balance in my starters," Schroeder-Biek said. "Everyone of my front line attackers was in double digits in kills and all of the attackers that play all the way around Lorna [Slupczynski], Kaela [Hellman] and Andrea [Sasgen] were also double-doubles in kills and digs - that shows you how well Amanda David balances our attack and how effective all of our attackers are."