SMC Volleyball: Lowly Albion stuns Belles

Last-place Albion shocked Saint Mary's Wednesday, winning 3-1 in an MIAA conference tilt.

The Britons, who were looking for their first conference win of the year and had dropped six of their last seven matches, came out as a team on a mission.

Sophomore outside hitter Morgan Walter, last week's MIAA conference player of the week, led the Albion attack with 21 kills and 24 defensive digs.

All four games were hard fought on both sides, and none was decided by more than six points (30-28, 24-30, 30-26, 37-35).

With each game so close, the stats ran high. Saint Mary's final stat sheet showed four double-doubles.

Sophomore outside hitter Lorna Slupczynski had a team-high 16 kills for the Belles and added 21 digs.

Junior middle blocker Kaela Hellman aided in the effort with her own double-double of 12 kills and 25 digs. Freshman middle blocker Andrea Sasgen had a team-high four service aces and the third double-double on the night (10 kills and 19 digs).

The final double-double came from senior setter Amanda David, who contributed 46 assists and 17 digs.

Albion's offensive stats were not as notable, even though the Britons came out victorious. What was impressive was Albion's defensive effort.

Six of the 10 Albion players posted double-digit digs.

Walter and senior defensive specialist Meghan Miller tied for the team lead with 24.

Sophomore outside hitter Maggie Dubsbiber contributed 23 digs to the winning effort.

The win lifts the Britons record to 2-7 overall and 1-4 in the MIAA while Saint Mary's falls to 5-7 and 2-3, respectively.

The Belles take on Kalamazoo at home Friday at 7 p.m.